Inside your home stuff

That tile… looks like someone mopped the floor with Grimace…

Mcdonalds Grimace GIF

I like purple, but I’m not a fan of those cabinets…

Excited Good Vibes GIF by CBS

11 Likes

He certainly got a lot of purple for his money.

7 Likes

The New Power Generation Tea GIF by Prince

12 Likes

:thinking: :grimacing:

14 Likes

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

10 Likes

Maybe backwards, while saying, “It’s basically like a ladder, it’s basically like a ladder…”?

8 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

I follow a tumblr user called Home Tours & Other Stuff. They have a Stairs That Will Kill You tag, which is truly the stuff of painful nightmares!

10 Likes

Excitement!

There is loud Mexican music on our front porch, accompanied by two quiet Mexican gentlemen who are making loud noises. They are scraping, pounding, and power sanding away the old dead paint, preparing the porch for coats of Royal Hunter Green (of course!!!) and Rice Wine, which Mike the Contractor pointed out looks much more like horchata than sake. We and his crewman Eduardo concurred.

Royal Hunter Green
Rice Wine

They’ll also paint the back porch and the new fences they put up. (They also built the back porch a few months ago, and it’s fabulous. The railings have fancy spindles and all!) So V glad to get all of that done before Old Man winter (not Edgar nor the late Johnny - I’d capitalize their surname!) appears.

11 Likes

Vertigo

8 Likes

My first thought upon seeing @milliefink’s photo: I had that exact same nightmare.
It was so scary, I was at the top of a staircase just like that, but all concrete and a bit bigger, and had to get down urgently but kept sliding around like I was on a rocking boat even though everything was static. Ugh, the anxiety!

9 Likes

7 Likes

This post is NSFW.

Well, the front porch is looking great! but I am half furious, half wanting to cry.

My BF and I discussed the painting at length, of course. I told him many times I want the house to be mostly dark green, with beige highlights.

The house a few years ago:

It was last painted that pale and dark bluey-green, both of which mom hated, but didn’t bother telling them to take back the blue-y paint and bring her the effing green-greens she’d showed them she wanted. Thus for the rest of her life, the house was once again colors she didn’t want.

The front porch is mostly fucking beige, with dark green highlights.

Now the house is becoming the color I don’t want, either.

Fuck.

It looks good, and they’re doing a great job, and I don’t want to scream and yell nor ask them to change it b/c doubtless time and expense as well as extra work for these sweethearts who are doing the work. {I type run-ons when I get extremely upset. Sorry.}

I am absolutely livid and hurt that once again the house is being painted the wrong way.

Maybe the back porch, fences, and the rest of the house can be painted the way I want them!!!

Maybe someday my BF will actually hear the things I say. I can hope, right?

ETA:
I can’t blame myself for freaking TF out, but my honey reassures me it’s only the first coat. All will be well. I thought they were done! I shoulda known better, but it’s probably been more than 30 years since last experiencing my house’s being painted.

12 Likes

Oh, that’s SO frustrating. If you have any way to do so, I highly recommend working with the painters to get what you want. It sounds like, with the history, it’s going to be a source of ongoing frustration and probably sad or annoying memories.
I had something tangentially similar a few years ago here, only regarding pruning our lovely big sugar maples in the front yard. It can’t be fixed, and looking at our trees is now usually tinged with a bit of sadness. And it’s a similar thing about feeling unheard.
Your mental and emotional well being is worth it to at least see what it would take to get it the way you want. Not that I think this would send you over the edge or anything, but you want coming home to feel good, you know?

10 Likes

Twice I’ve had painters try to get away with using the wrong color, and repeating “that isn’t the color you were supposed to use, get the correct one.” In response to every excuse offered did the trick in the end. Even if your BF did the painting, get the color you want.

8 Likes

I cannot tell if this is a miscommunication on the part of your BF, in that he told the painters the wrong thing, or the painters did the wrong thing. But I think you should try to talk with the painters. It’s not a small or trivial thing.

8 Likes

In my family, it is well known that I cannot be allowed to make color choices. I am not actually colorblind at all, just color agnostic. While I can look at pretty much anything and go “Yeah, that works,” my wife is very sensitive to colors, matching and meeting expectations. She would be livid if did not match what she expected. She knows this about us, and makes and supervises all such doings in our place. Obviously, I don’t know your BF, but I do know that degree of color agnosia varies greatly. My explanation is that I see the 8 color box of crayons, while she sees the 256 color and says there are a bunch missing. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

My BF has an art degree.

He also reassured me that what we’re looking at is only the first coat. Having painted houses as well as canvases, he said that no matter what color they laid down as the first coat, it will be easier to put on the second coat, and in the combination we want.

I am much more hopeful, and now also get to feel bad for making him feel upset too, first thing in the morning.
rolleyes fish ⇐ both of these are me, BTW

8 Likes

Bad pruning truly can ruin lives.

There are so many good books available with excellent instructions, and it’s not hard to find reliable internet info, either.

ETA:
spn hug

7 Likes

Does anyone recognize the make of this thermostat? (I suspect an old Honeywell model.)

The company that originally installed it removed the brand name and put their own sticker on it. Naturally their site now has no mention of it.

There’s a tiny basic operations list on the swing-down lid, but I want to hunt down a user guide.

3 Likes