Inside your home stuff

Thr house I currently occupy has a crawl space, and I’m wondering what kind of company to call to check it out. For moisture, mold, places mice are getting in, etc. Anyone know?

There’s a layer of plastic down there, from at least 10 years ago. When I come back home after a few days away, my home smells a little musty, wondering if moisture down there is the source.

6 Likes

Probably something like this:

A/C units will also dehumidify while they are running, so if you’re away for a few days and have the unit set to Away Mode, it makes sense you’d have higher moisture when you return. I’m recently running a dehumidifier in the basement and was a little surprised it’s filling up the 1.5 gallon container almost every day. The upside is that the A/C unit now doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain a certain temperature, and the temp is more uniform throughout the house.

9 Likes

Wound up doing the dehumidifier thing as well, eventually had to install a little sump that pumps it out automatically. We were emptying it 2-3 times/day and still not keeping up. Now, effortless other than occasionally having to clear some slimy gunk from the hose every few months.

11 Likes

25 Likes

Hmmmm…

10 Likes

The rug really pulls it all together!

I would do a contrasting color on the square raised door cabinets, personally.

10 Likes

I kinda like it, in the “I’ll enjoy it in your house/the magazine/Instagram but couldn’t live with it myself” way.
The kitchen layout is good, and I bet those shiny surfaces wipe down easily.

9 Likes

Hi, Millie. If it’s not too late, and you can swing it, you might consider looking for a BPI certified energy auditor. If you find one, you could negotiate a lower price, maybe, and let them know you just need a crawl space assessment, not the whole home (unless you decide you do want a full home audit).
I’d recommend that approach for 2 reasons:

1. Unless they work for a mold-remediation or HVAC company or the like, they aren’t trying to sell you something just because. They’ll just get into the space and take pics and let you know what, if anything, is needed.
  2. They have the skills and equipment to do the crawl space assessment, but also to conduct further diagnostics and visual inspections to try to solve a specific puzzle, like why you’re smelling that musty smell, for example.

Depending what they find, you’ll likely need to hire someone else to do the work, but the auditor would probably have recommendations.

Good luck whichever way you go. Crawl spaces are probably my biggest non-performance-related pet peeve of home construction. They’re generally horrible places to work.

14 Likes

Thank you, excellent idea that I hadn’t considered. I’m on it! :+1:

7 Likes

When you’re buying a home, there are inspectors who do a whole check-out and give a report and recommendations for a few $hundred (Ontario), but that includes a lot more than just the crawlspace, and has legal due-diligence and all that.

That might be overkill, but on the other hand, if they’re only inspecting, they don’t have reason to upsell fixes.

eta:
Or just go with ClutchLinkey’s better and more specific recommendation. (Some day I’ll learn to read to the end of threads.)

8 Likes

How did you get a picture of the junk in my kitchen that needs packed away somewhere?

7 Likes

Praise be unto Anoia :pray:t2:

6 Likes

15 Likes

Honestly, if you don’t have that drawer, are you even human? They should use that as a CAPTCHA.

12 Likes

Right?

I recently made mine better by neatly rolling up that floppy tape measure and putting a rubber band around it.

Im Done Leaving GIF by Lidl Ireland

15 Likes

You do realise that means it’s the last time you’ll ever see it, right?

13 Likes

Just buy another one. Bring it home, it will get lonely and call for its friend. Its friend will appear and you’ll have two tape measures. (We have about 10 tape measures because of this method.)

16 Likes

13 Likes

Looks like the set of the Dating Game or something

10 Likes

Oh no, now for some reason I have the theme song for The Price Is Right going through my head! :person_facepalming:

9 Likes