Inspired by Snowden, more NSA insiders are blowing the whistle

GCHQ and European spy agencies worked together on mass surveillance

Edward Snowden papers unmask close technical cooperation and loose alliance between British, German, French, Spanish and Swedish spy agencies

Did you see this? It complicates Merkel’s complaints and outrage and also any potential safe haven for Snowden, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Healthcare would be nice without private insurance carriers.

7 Likes

Something like stopping a boinger at the border and refusing to let them in… or throwing them on a no fly list?

Or flying them to another country and beating them with a monkey wrench for several hours, without explanation?

Or waterboarding them?

1 Like

They probably monitor the site, like they monitor everything. But I don’t know if they would contact BB unless there was inside information, or direct leaks coming from here.

2 Likes

If you want the big reveal all at once, taking him out makes sense. America will get the blame and all the secrets get dumped. He switched one target on his back for another with the security file thing.

1 Like

I think it’s excellent that the info has been coming out as a trickle instead of the Wikileaks dump. It keeps the pressure on, and the government can’t make one comment, and move on.
I can’t speak for other countries, but the people in the US have a short attention span. They can’t forget about it if more keeps on coming.

6 Likes

Pardon me?

1 Like

Mmm. It seems implausible, but there are a lot of ways of feeling peoples’ privates without putting your hand in their pants. My kind of reference is the seemingly arcane, but featherlight intrusiveness of the British civil service. They just … have a way.

Not, that in any regard, I think BB would have paid any attention. Just sometimes you don’t get the substance of an article to write, you might just have tastes and whiffs.

1 Like

I’m not sure what that means, lol.

1 Like

I’m implying they aren’t very subtle.

Implying it badly, it seems.

1 Like

You were too subtle, :wink:

1 Like

I know. Bit tired really.

An example might be say leaning on the brokers who service the portfolios of the investors behind BB, were there any such people, and making them nervous about being closely associated with an “anti-American” media outlet. They might then express restrained concern to the investors, and if there were 10 of them, 1 might get twitchy.

That kind of thing.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s quite possible I was just being dense.

1 Like

RIght! Ha!

I think it depends on who is doing what. There are more, and less, sophisticated agents and actors in the whole game.

“By any means necessary” implies a full spectrum of behaviour.

1 Like

I was being whispy and metaphorical, sorry.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Reuters reports that David Miranda was, indeed detained on trumped up terrorism charges

"At a London court hearing this week for Miranda’s lawsuit, a document called a “Ports Circulation Sheet” was read into the record. It was prepared by Scotland Yard - in consultation with the MI5 counterintelligence agency - and circulated to British border posts before Miranda’s arrival. The precise date of the document is unclear.

“Intelligence indicates that Miranda is likely to be involved in espionage activity which has the potential to act against the interests of UK national security,” according to the document.

“We assess that Miranda is knowingly carrying material the release of which would endanger people’s lives,” the document continued. “Additionally the disclosure, or threat of disclosure, is designed to influence a government and is made for the purpose of promoting a political or ideological cause. This therefore falls within the definition of terrorism…”

5 Likes

So, Miranda wasn’t found to be carrying anything which “would endanger people’s lives”. This leads to the conclusion that any such material does exist, but Miranda didn’t have it on him. But…if the threat level was so incredibly high, why didn’t they just take Miranda out? Smells…bs-ey, doesn’t it?
Interesting definition of ‘terrorism’, too. Since that definition could be applied to virtually any political or idealogical movement in existence, I’m pretty sure 'm a terrorist, too. Funny how, if I know stuff they don’t want anybody to know, I’m a terrorist - but if they know stuff they don’t want anybody to know, they’re ‘good government’.

Biggest potential point of failure right now is this USA Freedom Act. It does essentially nothing, other than provide for more oversight of a thing which was illegal and ought not be done at all. If they sell that to the general public? Then, we’re stuck. But I will say no more, as even BB must have some upper limit on swearing. The fuck stops here.

4 Likes

…which gets in the way of his drinking his polonium-laced coffee. Self-administered, of course.

2 Likes

Three liters of it! Administered via IV, of course.

2 Likes

(In sotto Homer) Mmmmmmm, delicious polonium…

3 Likes