Instagrammers reveal the difference between a posed body and a relaxed one

Not exactly the same, but about a decade ago AdBusters ran a brilliant spoof of Calvin Klein ads. All I could find online are these two, but they convey the gist…

11 Likes

HILARIOUS!

That second one’s face…young Jon Stewart, perhaps?

3 Likes

I thought he looked familiar, but I didn’t make the connection until you said it. I could definitely see him doing that, but I think he would have been around 40 when these came out.

4 Likes

Just imagine Yeats is going to a dinner party at Keats’ house.
And remember that Yeats hates Keats’ beets.

14 Likes

This is why God made telephoto.

2 Likes

(photos by Steven Eastwood)

This image is interesting but misleading in that what lenses really do is make the image larger or smaller. In order to get a headshot with each of these lenses the camera has to move closer for short lenses and further for telephoto lenses.

7 Likes

Wake me up when we can please think less with eyes, and more with brain…

2 Likes

That GIF never stops being funny no matter how many times you watch it :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s not just Photoshop, though. The poses here show that.

In fact, one of my gripes based on doing Photoshop work for photographers is that photographers have gotten lazy imho. A lot of a more professional shoot has to do with making sure the model is in a good pose. Beyond that, a lot of it is setting up the shot properly, correct lens choices, and lighting it properly.

And lens choice matters for the same reason digitalArtform gives: the camera doesn’t see you the same way a human eye does.

If they’d do those things right, 95% of the time Photoshop wouldn’t even come into play.

I don’t remember the name of it, but I remember seeing a documentary that talked about the pressure that male models are under. To the extent that male models are actually under pressure than women to conform to a particular body type. They have to work out so they have some muscular definition, but they can’t have too much definition. They have to have a certain amout of masculinity but not too much. They have to maintain a narrow body weight range. And so on.

8 Likes

Because of that Smiths song?

5 Likes

No, because I don’t hear their names pronounced out loud very often. Actually, not at all.
I think in the book “The Stand” near the beginning, one of the characters muses over how a recently deceased co-worker mispronounced “Yeats” as “Yeets”. That only made it worse for a while.

And would Alex Jones even know who we were talking about, LOL?

6 Likes

As I approach 50, I’m starting to notice a trend towards the “relaxed” half of the avocado…

17 Likes

I’m 52, and the last time I looked like that, I was pregnant…

That’s adorb, though!

6 Likes

Nowhere near that – yet… However, I am at that point where I either need to start losing a bit or start upgrading the waist size on my pants (or just start wearing them lower and lower with more and more over-spill). I think that the last waist increase was somewhere in my 30’s.

1 Like

The problem with that is that most of humans’ brains are wired to prioritize the decoding of visual patterns. I see oversleeping in your future!

5 Likes

haha, sorry - i’m not a model, nor do i claim to look like one. you definitely don’t want me posing!

1 Like

Here beside the tomb of Keats
Stand I, William Butler Yeats;
Though we share Parnassus’ seats
I’m the one that got the dates.

11 Likes

I know this ship has sailed, but the usual portrait lens (twice standard focal length, e.g. about 85mm for 35mm) is not usually an actual telephoto. A telephoto is technically a lens whose effective focal point is in front of the lens (i.e. it is shorter than its focal length). The 40mm pancake lenses you see on mirrorless cameras nowadays are actually telephotos.

Once you get beyond twice standard focal length there’s no real benefit, so the top row series of photos in @anon24181555’s post don’t, I think, really make a strong point. The bottom row does show the enlargement of the nose with the 24mm lens, but the contoured makeup makes it harder to see the widening effect - which is its purpose.

For portraits, it was never desirable to have the highest resolution in the days before digital. Victor Blackman, one of the best known Fleet Street photographers, used to tell the story of how his Leica dealer had tried to sell him an 80mm lens for portraits.
Blackman: But my Rollei already has an 80mm lens.
Leica dealer: But the Leitz lens has a much higher resolution than the Zeiss lens.
Blackman: Exactly.

Image manipulation has been going on, basically, since Charles Dodgson started applying his mathematical knowledge (he was an expert on the theory of maps and continuous functions) to photography, while writing the Alice books, which contain a lot of image transforms, on the side.

5 Likes

I think that Peter Paul Rubens is to blame.

3 Likes

In Rubens’s day fatness was a sign of wealth because food was expensive, and the poor were thin. Now it’s the other way round; the ability to afford expensive low-cal food, gyms and holidays means that it costs more to be thin and healthy.
Then there’s the effect of domestic violence - some women get fat because they have violent partners and being rotund gives some protection. [I am a trustee of a community charity, I’m not inventing this.]
And car makers make the cars and seats ever bigger, distorting expectations. The last time I drove in the US I found myself rolling around in the vast seat. Plane seats may increasingly be cattle class in economy, but very overweight poor people tend not to fly very much.

9 Likes