Interview with a professional sewage diver

Originally published at: Interview with a professional sewage diver | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Meanwhile Dalits (untouchables) in India jump in with maybe just shorts on.

Ewww.

5 Likes

I’ll let breakfast settle a bit before I watch -that-

3 Likes
2 Likes

Years ago, I read an interview with a guy who did this. He said that because he was in the suit, he was the cleanest person on his crew. He’d suit up, go in, do the job, then come out covered with sewage. His crew would hose him down, and then he’d take the suit off (suit down?).

His crew would get random splatters on them during the whole process, but he stayed relatively pristine.

12 Likes

I wonder if he’d like bog snorkeling?

7 Likes

What a shitty job to have.

6 Likes

Pedant inception:

The subtitle that shows “300 ml” when the diver says “three hundred mil” is wrong; it should be “300 mm”.

The diver saying “three hundred mil” is technically wrong; a mil is one-thousandth of an inch.

Thank fuck. I’d hate to meet an amateur sewage diver.

7 Likes

Came here for amateur sewer diver, leaving very satisfied

3 Likes

So… the last guy quit but he left his stuff behind. The boss says that this machinery needs to be unstuck. Any scuba divers here? It’ll just be like diving the reef.

3 Likes

That relatively is doing a lot of work here.

Contrary to what?

1 Like

You have to ask?

1. The captions are auto-generated. He said “mil”, the algorithm heard “ml”, and that’s what it displayed.
  2. Austalia has been metric for 49 years, and “mil” is common Australian shorthand for mm, so by Australian standards he is not technically wrong.
4 Likes

One close to me, a NYC subway officer, led crews through the tunnels every morning to harvest the night’s load of fresh corpses. She wasn’t even in the sewer system. I wonder how many corpses float through NYC’s sewers every day. Or are they devoured by flushed alligators?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.