Interview with person who makes prosthetic penises for TV shows

yea… but a penis can double or halve in size in a matter of seconds. If you can do the scene in one take I don’t think there’s any reason to bother with a prosthetic. But if you’re doing multiple takes that get spliced together in post, I can imagine a scenario where you just want to keep the audience from exclaiming “bullshit! no cock can go from shrunken to turgid that hastily! I detect cinematic trickery!”

3 Likes

Is it a hard job?

16 Likes

14 Likes

I wonder if this is the same guy Fluffy mentions in his anecdote about filming ‘Magic Mike’

3 Likes

Not usually.

Shrinkage is also a mitigating factor, I imagine.

10 Likes

No doubt, but I like my version better.

1 Like

I think you have a good reason there. If a scene was done in one take it wouldn’t matter, but I’m sure we’ve all seen consistency errors that made it into the final print. You can’t command a penis to a particular size, using real penises would be asking for trouble.

At least with breasts the variation isn’t so fast.

3 Likes

They rocked hard last night with Huey Lewis.

(Short Cuts fake penis scene.)

1 Like

Well, one presumes, anyway…

I recall a Tinto Brass film in which they were using prosthetic johnsons (it became obvious when the guys were otherwise betrousered), but I’m not sure what it accomplished as the rest of the footage still ensured an NC-17, if they even bothered with obtaining a rating. So I’m not sure if the prosthetic somehow evades the (Italian?) censors because it’s a prosthetic, or the actors’ union because they’re not otherwise doing it for real, or that particular actor’s preference, or what.

ETA / P.S.: is this cheaper per unit (heh) than rendering one in CGI? IIRC that’s how they did it with a French film whose title I can’t recall.

1 Like

There was some write up about Huey using a fake member for the shoot but who really knows?

1 Like

I didn’t remember any write-up, just figured it was more likely that they were using a device, than Mr. “Hip to Be Square” not being pee-shy in front of a rolling camera. OTOH I learn something new every day…

1 Like

Maybe you can’t.

giphy-4

22 Likes

Aside from the vanity/actor image issue, I can see times when you’d probably need a prosthetic dick in a show or movie…

6 Likes

Pam & Tommy, episode 2.

I think you get the thrust of it. It is quite prominent.

1 Like

I remember.

Warning: lots of dick getting shot.

2 Likes

There’s another thing going on as well, which is when you look down at your own penis, the angle makes it look smaller.
I remember taking a shower in a room with a full length mirror, and I literally did a double-take, looking down at myself, and up at the image in the mirror. It certainly made me feel more confident about myself, and made me realise why so many men are insecure.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that’s not a Phallus impudicus, it looks more like a mushroom-shaped fungus that hasn’t opened out yet. P. impudicus have a dark slimy head and a white shaft, which is pitted rather than cracked and striated as in the picture above.

I found a stink horn ones. It looked like a carrot with poop at the tip. Neat little fungi.

That’s a great take! I actually had to deal with partners that felt that they were too small and literally said “what the hell you’re talking about?” and mostly though it was a psychological issue like dysphoria where what you see in the mirror is distorted.

Most guys don’t even consider that there are multiple vagina sizes and a lot of small to average women would feel pain from a mismatch.

I wish there was a healthier and more informative sex education happening nowadays, too many people uncomfortable with totally normal human bodies.

6 Likes