Introducing BBS, our new forums

Okay… done and done! I created a topic and we can put our sarcasm marks there and vote on that shit.

I have to say, red wine is great for thinking up great ideas for a new commenting system yet seems to be rather shitty for typing in details about comps books!

I’d guess its to keep fans from getting too involved in what isn’t their website. That’s why I’d do exactly this.

I agree with you 100% here. It’s cumbersome if you just want to quickly scan down and read some comments and reply. It takes away from the experience, IMO.

3 Likes

I’d like to play Falcon’s Eye with/against you punks!

1 Like

For some reason BoingBoing never wanted you to stay on their page. I always hated the fact that the links never opened on a new tab.

1 Like

What’s worse is that you can’t use your browser’s text-search functionality (Ctrl+F) to search for text in the comments because all the comments don’t load until you scroll all the way down. Screw this lazy loading nonsense; just load the entire page and stop trying to be smarter than me!

7 Likes

I agree about the endless loading webpages. I’m okay with clicking on a little tab that says “next”, really I am. That and threads within comments not being together seem to be the two biggest bugs in this system so far.

2 Likes

Or perhaps Discard.

1 Like

Interesting. I just noticed in the preferences that by default the system is set up to spam you with emails. Odd that it’s opt-out instead of opt-in…

4 Likes

Yes, it is this: ؟

That’s irony though… But I guess this could be argued that they are one and the same, or at least closely enough related to not really matter?

Also, I have a whole topic for this!

Good ideas. I think we should either have all of the article or just the headline and a backlink – the autotruncated version is a frustrating teaser. Will think on it.

Comment box at the top might feel good to “land” on, too for people arriving from the post. But we’ve always generally disliked the idea of box-at-the-top as it discourages reading others’ contributions.

There are plans to offer local avatars in the very near future, probably in the next 2 months.

Yeah, we’re going to improve the name splitting tonight so that it tries to split on CamelCase as Camel ← → Case. Sorry about that.

That is up to the Happy Mutants, the default on Discourse is 20 characters minimum for a reply, but it’s their BBS.

Don’t think of it as half a thread, think of it as the thread’s greatest hits!!

But in all seriousness, there is now an honest to goodness clubhouse for Happy Mutants, a place that is just for the community.

The area below the fold on a story is not your clubhouse – it’s more like the Teen Paranormal Romance section at Barnes & Noble. That’s the tradeoff. To have an “other” place that is truly unique and belongs to the community, there has to be… another place.

I think what people might be missing is that you will maybe perhaps eventually come here to hang out on the BBS and socialize with other Happy Mutants … it’s like a 24/7 dinner party, with the occasional clickthrough to BB proper.

3 Likes

Inline commenting isn’t a bad thing at all – we’d just like to try something different which will make it even easier to have a good conversation (in the form of the forum thread) but place only the best of it in the same place as the original post.

The part that ‘hurts’ is the idea that not every comment is ‘good enough’ to be published, especially given how well the moderators have done creating a civil and rewarding community environment.

But the fact is that the best comments often come only after several days, and are often buried amid tangents, tussles and the general preference for chronological ordering. Inline comments facilitate good discussion, but they tend to be a terrible way to present the best parts of it in an easily-readable fashion.

So we’re going to give it a try and see how it works out.

HOWEVER, that’s not to say that more integration between the forums and the posts is off the cards. We’d like to refine it, to avoid UI annoyances, extra clicks and redundancy.

1 Like

I’ve heard about this platform’s ability to stop trollies in their
tracks and quench the shenanigans of flamers on CBC’s Spark.

BoingBoing already had a feature to stop trollies in their tracks, called Antinous.

21 Likes

Absolutely. It’s the best feature!

2 Likes

I’ve already availed myself of said feature! And I absolutely agree! It is a great feature. It feels more communally…

1 Like

Ok, So what does Hitler think of all of this?

No. They’ve all been imported into Wordpress, where all the native BB accounts remain. They’ll still be there! If anything’s missing tell us.

Does that mean the comments are over? Also:

4 Likes