Introduction to the dark, cinematic, and magickal music microgenre of Dungeon Synth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/introduction-to-the-dark-cine.html

4 Likes

That spectral kingdom one was very nice. Makes me want to dig out an old Michael Nyman CD - selected scores from a few Peter Greenaway movies I think.

1 Like

Hell yes! I can also recommend Heimat Der Katastrophe, who has released some albums under the names Kobold and Gnoll that are great.

1 Like

The Diablo 2 soundtrack found a spot in my study music playlist.

1 Like

Awesome. Can’t wait to see my wife roll her eyes when I tell her what I’ve been listening to lately.

4 Likes

That is some Bard’s Tale-level tunes right there.

1 Like

That Hedge Wizard, workin’ those Casio presets.

1 Like
2 Likes

And the ur-reference work:

I listen to some seriously weird stuff (people making music with broken lightbulbs in used ramen cups comes to mind) but this is a new one even for me.

I always liked this style but I never knew it actually was a style. I figured it was just one off mood music for a scene in occasional 80’s fantasy movies

Legit, I like this.

Just remembered- there was always one band that fit this to a T I liked. Super weird and super beautiful in a haunting way- done with a kantele (almost extinct musical instrument, from Finland)

Nest’s Woodsmoke album is what Gandolf the Grey listens to as he smokes and makes potions. Might not have enough synth to be dungeon, but very similar style

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.