Invent an awesome Reagan-era action show

Killdozer is fun, in a shlocky Maximum Overdrive style; but the Car is soooo much more fun…

6 Likes

Who can forget the Saturday morning adventures of Paul “The Face” Martin, Joe “Howling Mad” Clark, Kim “Hannibal” Campbell, and Brian “BM” Mulroney…?

12 Likes

Wasn’t Hulk Hogan in that series?

4 Likes

There’s been a villainous truck: http://knight-rider.wikia.com/wiki/Goliath

4 Likes

Oh, and an A-Teamed bad guy tanker in the Death Race reboot:

http://i.minus.com/iP2y7KSXkvMyi.gif

(full-size practical stunt — that’s a real truck crashing)

4 Likes

Especially as we know who the bumbling sidekick was IRL.

Donald Trump is leading in the opinion polls for the Republican nomination. It is impossible for fiction to be less likely than fact these days.

4 Likes

I fucking loved that show. My gran would never let me watch it, cos Heidi was on the other channel. Heidi.

1 Like

9 Likes

This old Sesame Street video is just begging for a new soundtrack and some gratuitous explosions.

4 Likes

They look as if they were designed to look good to Hitler and Goering, rather than be particularly effective. If you wanted Nazi budget, promising a wonder weapon that would look good on a poster was the best way to start (though even Hitler turned down the 1000-tonne Porsche tank design.)

3 Likes

I’m guessing the source is Rob Beschizza’s brain.

4 Likes

They ended up making the Cayenne anyway.

4 Likes

Redlance’s Dreamberry Bourbon.

1 Like

That was one of the funniest comments I’ve ever read. Thanks for that.

Apparently even Nazis can’t resist the defense contractor’s insidious wiles. That said, some of the stuff that remained on the cutting room floor because of logistical constraints would have been very bad news had it been available in quantity.

3 Likes

And then there’s the Heinkel He 162 Volkjäger or Salamander.

To save on strategic metals, it was made of wood. It would be incredibly dangerous to fly. To save on experienced pilots, it would have been flown by half-trained Hitler Youth.

I have been informed via carrier pigeon that OtherMichael has found their van.

4 Likes

It was available in quantity - they made lots of Heinkel jets. The problem for Germany was that the middle and end of WW2 was a resources war. Lack of oil did for Rommel in the desert, and once Romania was lost, it was game over. Making lots of jets, tanks and missiles that you can’t fuel is the kind of strategic mistake that we all hope an enemy will make, and Adolf obliged.

1 Like

So was the Mosquito, which post-WW2 was calculated to be the bomber which inflicted the most damage on Germany per £, 5.8 times more effective than the Lancaster. The Dreamliner is also basically made of the same stuff as wood, i.e. long chain polymers.
If I’d been a pilot in WW2 I’d rather have been in a Mosquito than anything else. It was effectively a stealth bomber before the term was even in use.

I read the Wikipedia article, which was interesting for once. The problems with the Heinkel were not really the wood construction but the rushed production. As for flying by half trained Hitlerjugend - forget it! With a half hour endurance, you would need to be a highly experienced pilot just to learn to fly the thing; someone with no experience would crash it the first time out.

If you want a really silly WW2 plane for a series, try the Swordfish. My father wanted to join the Fleet Air Arm but an eyesight problem put him in the regular Navy. The first time he saw Swordfish in action, he was very, very relieved indeed not to be in one.

2 Likes

I am shocked that nobody has suggested the Segway as a uniquely unsuitable and therefore awesome 80’s futureish crime fighting tool. Perhaps a sentient Segway with guns.

3 Likes