iPhone IOS 14 lets you change the default browser and mail apps

It gets better. There’s a whole 2nd season in this thread alone. I think it jumped the shark though.

2 Likes

The cliff hanger where we wait to see how long the suspension for hijacking a thread is? That is pretty awesome.

Similar here.

Only in 2018, Google started including an Android licensing requirement that a manufacturer has to support their Android phones for two years. Apple gets you security patches for several more years.

The TCO for a $400 Android phone with 2 years of patches is not an advantage over an $800 iPhone with 5+ years of patches. But if you’re the kind of person who breaks their phone every two years, then the cheap Android phone is a better TCO.

Which kind of brings us to the Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness.

2 Likes

Being able to replace the mail client is good, or it would be if a good mail client existed, on any platform. (Not counting Gmail-only clients, which I wouldn’t know about).

Being able to replace the browser doesn’t seem all that momentous given that, as I understand it, all browsers on iOS still have to use WebKit, i.e. they are just wrappers around Safari. But Safari is pretty good.

I suppose it’s useful though for folks who have their bookmarks/passwords in chrome/FF/etc and want to use those instead of the icloud keychain.

The mail client would be far more useful if you, for example, use gmail (or hey!) exclusively I suppose. In my case I have like a dozen mail accounts now so the mail app is really the best choice there.

The buried lede in all of this, though, is this should have happened forever ago, but I’m glad it’s official now.

2 Likes

“I get why you tried to keep control, but it should have been a feature at launch so many years ago”

I hated losing tabs between browsers. Forgetting where I read something because it opened out of an app and not Gmail, etc. These are the types of problems Android does fix right away – and I am glad enough to see it is finally here to share the news with all our friends.

1 Like

Probably not the first, but maybe the best

runs

comes back

Does this mean that chrome will actually be chrome and not a reskinned safari?

Not likely, I think part of Apple’s performance, privacy, and security strategy is being able to patch mechanisms that can run downloadable code in iOS. If they make an exception for Google, that might create more legal openings.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.