IRAQ: Rocket strikes reported at US-Iraqi military base near Baghdad airport

Weird. That’s something I could see a Republican US resident saying about pretty much any Middle Eastern government.

And as others have pointed out, we aren’t the government, any more than you are the government in Canada. If your government began acting like our government, how helpful do you think it would be to have people from other countries coming here and giving you crap for how your government has been behaving?

Most of us are aware, and would not argue, that the US government has been up to some bullshit for essentially the entire time it has existed. As have other governments peppered throughout time and history. Ours isn’t the first, and won’t be the last (depending on how all this plays out).

If I had the means to chuck every world leader into space so we could try to start over, I would. Especially if the new world leaders knew that the consequences of behaving like the old world leaders would get them chucked into space.

15 Likes

Trump is an idiot, a dangerous idiot. I would like to know who suggested this plan to Trump. Trump is going to get our kids killed.

5 Likes

“The moment the second missile landed on the motorcade of the commander of the Quds Force, General Qassem Soleimani. Al-Ahed channel”

Double-tap strike. Deliberately engineered to maximise the number of casualties amongst medics and rescuers.

11 Likes

:pensive: Fucking sadistic monsters.

9 Likes

Short of politically motivated assassination and sabotage, I think you’ll find that @Mindysan33 and a lot of the other Americans you will encounter on this forum are engaged in every action they can to break this cycle of American imperialism. As for your commentary about the average midwesterner, let me say from the district that sent Kucinich to the congress and Nickie Antonio to the statehouse that you are deeply ignorant of what you’re talking about.

15 Likes

Yeah, the immediate chain. But the chain is so long I’m having a hard time pointing at the first link. I just keep thinking we started with a relative-peace agreement that Trump decided to trash.

2 Likes

The radar reflection off the white caps was coming right for us!

2 Likes

Yup.

For example: why was that American mercenary killed by Iraqis? Might it perhaps have something to do with the millions of Iraqis killed by Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama?

And another step: why did B/C/B/O choose to kill millions of Iraqis? Might it perhaps have something to do with Saddam being an American puppet that slipped his leash?

And another step: who helped Saddam into power in the first place?

And another step: which people drew the borders of the current nations of the Middle East? Was it done by the people who live there, and designed for their benefit? Or was it instead arranged for the convenience of foreign imperial powers, and designed to keep the region weak and divided?

Etc.

11 Likes

I don’t think the description is accurate. Also don’t know if this is actually from the scene. But assuming it is, I don’t hear anything resembling a rocket (rockets have a distinctive sound). It’s possible that a 2-inch rocket was used and they’re on the quieter side. A hellfire is quite loud. If a bomb was used, the blast would be much larger.

The double-tap you refer to is from performing bomb-damage assessment (BDA) after the initial strike. If the person doing the targeting thinks a second strike is needed then you get the second strike. It’s not deliberately engineered to take out rescuers, but certainly is done in disregard of rescuer safety.

My statements should not be construed as support for the strike.

ETA: edited for typo

3 Likes

My little family is US/Canadian. I go there all the time (nice healthcare, eh? no seriously, I’ve experienced it on an emergency basis. Nice healthcare that doesn’t bankrupt you…)

I’ve gotten into ‘arguments’ with CDN family members who just want to lump all us USians together and say it’s all our problem. Yes. It is our problem and I am sorry we keep messing up. We may have another chance to course correct this fall. And many of us volunteer, donate and yes, VOTE every damn election. Every. Time. I may not be the most liberal person on here (nungesser deleted some vapors inducing posts of mine recently… shrug), but please don’t lump us in with the red armband, err I mean red hat morans. There are good people on both sides (of the US/CDN border!)

1 Like
3 Likes

10 Likes

You know that’s not how it works, right?

6 Likes

Ain’t colonialism grand?

2 Likes

Or who helped Khomeini into power, for that matter. (Sure, the revolution may have overthrown the Shah even without our help, but our intervention here certainly didn’t do the region any additional favors.)

8 Likes
10 Likes

It’s known that Kissinger has been advising trump in regards to China and I can’t help but wonder what else he is advising on.

2 Likes
11 Likes

I’m just going to have a total stab in the dark and guess “killing large numbers of defenceless foreign civilians, possibly under the pretext of liberation.”
Was I close?

12 Likes
7 Likes