Is Bros the worst Michelin-starred restaurant on Earth?

You didn’t grow up in the States, huh?!

Ants on a log is when you fill a celery stick with peanut butter then position raisins on top so it looks like ants walking.

It’s a well known kids’ snack food in the States. And, it’s nutritious, unlike so many snacks.

3 Likes

Yup, this popped into my head. Rich people problems.

1 Like

Well known in some of the states.

Which state doesn’t have this kid’s snack? That’s unusual.

Tia Sophia’s on W. San Francisco St. in Santa Fe NM.

Get the beef stuffed sopaipilla with red chile, and you will enjoy a homey delicious, inexpensive, but ultimately satisfying meal.

That is my “death row - last meal” meal.

(there’s no foam microdishes, and the waitstaff is very nice)

3 Likes

“Bros” make everything worse. Especially so if preceded by “Dude.”

7 Likes

Update: the chef has published a public response to this review after it went viral.

It’s just as inept and pretentious as the meal that this reviewer described.

13 Likes

You go at it regular sandwich style til you get to the bone, then it’s a ‘pull-the-bone-out-and-gnaw-at-it-while-eating-the-bread-mustard-for-garnish’ move.

But really, Jim’s is some real Chicago shit, especially when there’s a Bear’s game and the place is filled with people from the Local 597 Pipefitters or something. It’s a hoot.

4 Likes

La Sirena Clandestina was another great hole in the wall that shuttered in the last year or two. Manion’s newer work doesn’t quite fill the void.

1 Like

Which concludes with this counterfactual gem:

“How can we respond? Only with our menu. Because we are better with food than with words.”

Which is ironic because the review is all about their “menu”, criticizing them for being very bad with food. Not a good reply, even if the chef thought he was being all clever.

4 Likes

I’m from the STL area of Illinois and have lived all over the US since age 18. Never heard of it, though we do do the peanut butter and celery stick w/o the raisins.

ashton kutcher tattoo GIF

3 Likes

At first he seemed like he was going for a defense along the lines of “great cuisine, like great art, is a subjective experience…” but in the process made some kind of ham-fisted attempt to present an objective definition of who is or is not an artist?

Holy shit, at least the patrons can’t say they weren’t warned:

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 6.32.13 PM

7 Likes

right next to the Cross, like it’s a Bible verse :confused:

7 Likes

And above the Hamsa, as a ward against the evils of… Hos I guess?

6 Likes

With the definition being him and nobody else. He even dissed chefs of 3 star restaurants as “shallow”.

3 Likes

“Feeding people food they enjoy in quantities sufficient to sate their hunger is so unoriginal. I didn’t get into the service industry to make people happy!”

8 Likes

There is history of Italian cuisine and the avant-garde

Huh, this is what I had in mind when I heard the name

Which, no offense to your culturally-shaped tastes, I would much prefer.

6 Likes

Jay Rayner said “Michelin three-star restaurant […] Le Cinq supplied by far the worst restaurant experience I have endured”. His review is well worth reading.

4 Likes