Is it legal to insult a cop?

[Read the post]

1 Like

Link borken. Try this one https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/06/26/you-re-really-being-an-asshole-officer

1 Like

~ sniff, sniff, sniff ~

Smells like bacon…

1 Like

Cheers. We will get it fixed.

2 Likes

Cops are only pretending to have feelings.

3 Likes

Legal?

Probably protected speech in most cases. IANAL

Deleterious to your health and safety?

Almost certainly.

7 Likes

Cops have feelings too!

• Hate
  • Rage
  • Disgust
  • Contempt

And apparently, though it only comes out after they’ve killed someone, their emotional experience is dominated by Fear.

9 Likes

All the times I’ve insulted cops (or just wanted to) the legality of the action was never something I even considered.

This would make a great game show question, though.

3 Likes

I had thought the question of flipping the bird was settled long ago but this

tells me that the court originally found the student guilty. That original judge needs to be removed.
From the linked article

“The freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state.”

Sounds like this is a police state unless you have the money to make an appeal

7 Likes

Quite contraire… They are always calling out for love.

10 Likes

Not necesaarily illegal, but always stupid.

1 Like

And occasionally necessary.

5 Likes

Indeed, specifically this:

The trooper hit his siren, boarded the bus, and arrested the student, who was charged with and convicted of making an obscene gesture.

Seems to me that if you flip an officer the bird, you have a reasonable chance of not only getting arrested but convicted.

The demographics of people who read Boing Boing probably include those who would appeal and have the decision overturned.

A poor black teenager would probably stay in jail.

9 Likes

[quote=“SamSam, post:13, topic:60780”]
The demographics of people who read Boing Boing probably include those who would appeal and have the decision overturned.[/quote]

Yep, you got that right… BB readers are pretty urban, too.

Well, a rich black person would have the same ability to subvert the perversion of justice as a rich white person. This was more than adequately demonstrated by O.J. Simpson.

It’s obviously true, though, that in many places the poor are disproportionately people of color. So in my area (for example) the poor teenager in jail probably would be black. In Shinglehouse Pennsylvania, though, he’d undoubtedly be white (since the poor there are all white).

1 Like

Hey, cops:

1 Like

A poor black teenager would probably stay in jail.

And possibly be beaten while handcuffed or starved to death after being “forgotten” in solitary for several days or weeks or months while awaiting charges.

2 Likes

“To be obscene the expression must be, in a significant way, erotic.”

That speaks volumes about our culture. Sure you can indicate his/her parental figure is a hamster and/or smells of elderberries, but ask if they’re into candid photography and suddenly it’s an offence.

5 Likes

Well that certainly changes the meaning of the statements that always follow…

“I’m going in!” and “I got your back!” and “You take the rear!” :slight_smile:

8 Likes

As in, frequently fatal.

It really doesn’t matter how likely a cop is to kill you because he’s having a bad day. What matters is that he can and doesn’t have to fear the consequences if he does.

3 Likes