Is "Lady Bird" really that great?

I saw Lady Bird last night, and now I’m wondering what all the fuss is about. I read a lot reviews afterward, but I’m still thinking it’s just somewhat better than most indie-flavored white folks fare.

Spoilers okay here – I’d like to hear from others who’ve seen it.

Like, what’s up with the overly sub subplot of the sad priest (why include the scene where he’s sitting with the nurse/mother?)? And could we please get some stronger characterization of the mother, so we can understand her conflicted parenting methods better?

Ok, it is well made. The editing is great, captures adolescent energy and short attention span really well. And it’s great to see a girl’s story that at least isn’t ALL about sex, written and directed no less by a woman, yay for pretty much any movie that passes the Bechdel test. And I do like how most characters get treated sympathetically, instead of cartoonishly, and the acknowledgement of working class struggle is cool.

But the story seemed to me just, “meh.” I kept waiting for things to go somewhere really powerful, so all the accolades this movie is getting would strike me as justified. The ending seemed schematic, rushed, and unearned.

What am I missing?

ETA: I should add that this movie is confusing me because it’s getting SUCH huge love. Like, all around:

1 Like

Haven’t seen it yet, but I want to, so if I see in soon, I’ll report back.

I will say I do love both Saorsie Ronan and Laurie Metcalf already, but that doesn’t mean that the movie isn’t problematic in some way, of course.

1 Like

Thanks, I look forward to your thoughts! I do think it’s worth seeing, especially for Saoirse Ronan’s acting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.