... is that what the kids are calling it

10 Likes

8 Likes

6 Likes

elfears2

12 Likes

coming-to-America-Arsenio_AHHHHR

8 Likes

Is it cool if you just use cheugy ironically?

6 Likes

Okay, X-er

5 Likes

I use “cringe” here to mean a reaction of vicarious shame and embarrassment so strong it is physically felt. It is triggered by natural human empathy and driven by insecurity, and functions as a way to process the two into disgust.

Fascism is never cringe. It’s terrifying. Calling it cringe seems like downplaying it

This is why those writers, who find it cringey to describe far-right Republicans as fascists, are very bad news.

Couldn’t have put it better myself (and didn’t!)

15 Likes

Totally understood. Since of course I didn’t read the original post (I am a Boingboing BBS user, after all), when replying to ChuckV I thought it was the Tallahassee Democrat using the word.

Don’t worry @beschizza - everything’s jake!

9 Likes

@beschizza is the cat’s pyjamas!

6 Likes

You’re amazing, every man jack of you!

6 Likes

Yesterday I looked up one of those things that’s tickled the back of my mind from time to time for the last 20 years or so:

The kids might not be using it yet, but it’s just a matter of time before it comes into popular usage again. It’s such a great phrase, really an acre lot by the rail station.

6 Likes

:open_mouth:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Some viewers criticized Sajak for the move, calling it “cringe.”

It seems good professional practice still calls for quotation marks around that word.

Taking Notes GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.