Is this keyboard player the happiest person on the planet?

Apache is an electronica and Mix DJ’s go to.

Here is Fatboy Slim’s take from On the Floor at The Boutique.

The opening line is from The Jungle Brothers.

3 Likes

“cultural appropriation”
That’s a polite way to describe it.

Frankly, he’s past “happy” into creepy (and the poor video quality doesn’t help). This is like some sort of meta-video that shows up in a horror movie, where some kids are watching an old tape and suddenly the performer starts leaking blood out of his eyes and comes out of the television to kill teenagers.

4 Likes

No mention of the Shadows? I am shocked.

This is the version. No need for anything else.

15 Likes

Personally, I reckon the happiest guy on the planet is Gary the UPS delivery guy in Soho, London.
Seriously, that guy’s super-nice and super-happy ALL THE TIME.

6 Likes

Sure, but he’s gonna need a hip replacement by 40.

4 Likes

Another, well, enthusiastic keyboard player.

2 Likes

Roger Moore!

5 Likes

Yes the video footage is from The Persuaders! (which I should watch a few shows of) and it also starred Tony Curtis.

3 Likes

For happiest person, I offer up the ol’ Happiest DJ:

2 Likes

These guys were surprisingly better than the Credible Bongo Band.

10 Likes
1 Like

I’m seeing an electric guitar on rhythm, yet hearing a steel string acoustic. I think.

1 Like

You might be right.

The film is another performance. The poster of the video added the comercial recording over the top of it. But those are the Shadows.

2 Likes

Too bad it was such blurry cultural appropriation, some of those appropriators were mighty fetching!

4 Likes

This video is screaming out for a Joel, Tom, and Crow mini-reunion.

“Ladies, look out! That’s poison ivy - aw, too late.”

“Here, we’ll just wipe it on his leisure wear!”

2 Likes

This fails on so many levels, I can’t even begin to enumerate them.

Imagine, a song about a web server!

2 Likes

HAY GUIZE, isn’t Steely Dan awesome!

just to re-iterate my man @TobinL and others, OP is NOT the Incredible Bongo Band.

@frauenfelder

the reason why Apache by the Incredible Bongo Band and the Apache break is a worldwide institution is because it makes people dance. There’s even a b-boy champ from the Czech Republic named Apache.

had to take a serious dip into the old 'zine collection, but I knew this was in there. Rap Pages September 1996: The Dance Special

page 47:

Trac 2 is a vetrano from the Boogie Down Bronx…. His pioneering crew, Starchild La Rock, was a disciplined dance army whose moves, styles, and infamous battles earned enduring victories etched forever in the minds of their competitors.
How did you start picking up the dance yourself? [in the mid '70s]
We had a clubhouse by where I lived, at Washington Ave and 178th St in the Bronx. We had only one record and we danced to it for hours – that was “Apache.”

He does not mean some off-brand Eurodisco bullshit version that some stupid youtube uploader erroneously labeled as the IBB, he means the actual Incredible Bongo Band.

One of my favorite re-workings is this Nas track featuring Jadakiss and Ludacris. You’ll note Luda is rapping a lot more fiercely than usual given the company or should I say competition.

5 Likes

OMG, are you kidding me right now! I always WONDERED where the original footage came from!!! Now I know! Thanks, Mark!

10 Likes

He looks a lot like this guy.

6 Likes

Good god. I enjoy the challenge of trying to sneak things like this into party mixes, but this might be a cringe too far. Willfully inflicting this on others would be like farting in a stuck elevator.

My own contribution to the surf cheeze:

The “on hold” music from hell.