Is this the best UK comedy sketch of the 1970s?

?

8 Likes

Write that down in your copybook now.

7 Likes

This is the funniest Dave Allen sketch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7nL5DOEPQ

He’s much too dignified for that! I actually laughed quite a bit through the sketch at the idea of this middle class businessman wasting time at the thought of a free tenner. And his preliminary attempt to move the bill with the tip of his umbrella was pretty funny, IMO.

5 Likes

My immediate reaction was, it really isn’t that hard to move the front end of a Volkswagen bug. He just wasn’t putting his back into it. A high school friend’s parents owned one, and we were able to move the front of it a foot or two without much effort. The only thing under the hood was the spare tire. The engine was in the back.

M&W - Morny Stannit - 1976

1 Like

Came here to offer that one.

“UK comedy”, not “Yuk comedy”.

Not mine?

I remember Dave Allen. He was awesome! Every episode closed with him on a stool with a smoke and a drink, telling jokes.

I’m throwing out all of Not the Nine o’ Clock News here but really only one season was in the seventies.

Found it!

1 Like

I had a good job and I left

Just rip it!

according to this £10 in 1976 would be worth over £75 ($93US) today

I’d be waiting around for a chance to grab it, too

4 Likes

More than I thought.

My in the back of my head estimate had it around £60.

1 Like

It’s the best Dave Allen sketch I’ve ever seen.

It’s also the only Dave Allen sketch I’ve ever seen. Still, I loled at the end. He got me.

3 Likes

Dave Allen was an Irish comedian popular in the UK from the 1960s until his death in 2005.

His popularity came to an end in 2006, it was generally agreed that he’d been a cranky old bastard and that people laughed to be polite.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.