Is this the worst song ever?

Up until it was Christmas Time, I was actually into it, though it needed more Chinese opera. (Though I haven’t yet finished it and I’m wondering if that comes into the song later.)

Edit: Aw man, no Chinese opera…

In a world where William Hung can get a record deal, nothing is off the table anymore. Musically or otherwise.

[ETA: it now occurs to me this isn’t new either. . . see below]

2 Likes

I know a bunch of people that’d pay good money for this if you said it was a Sparks side project.

Also, making deliberately “bad” music that nobody would otherwise listen to just seems pointless, kinda like those “worst first sentence” contests where people string together mild erotica and/or shit Sci-Fi-ish sounding phrases that’d never make their way past an editor. I’m only interested in stuff that made it through some sort of genuine quality control.

1 Like

Sorry, man, but it’s been scientifically proven that Stairway to Heaven is the best song ever. Scientifically. Proven. With Science.

I think my ears are bleeding now.

@beschizza I’m not sure this is the worst song ever, but the Mr. Bungle reference made my day. Thanks.

4 Likes

i like phish

3 Likes

How is a bassoon better than an oboe? Bassoons burn longer.

I shouldn’t be unfair to the oboe. It is a beautiful instrument, in the hands of an excellent oboist. But there are no mediocre oboe players.

3 Likes

The worst song ever (wholly subjective anyway) cannot be consciously created because it’s not possible to fully separate the experience of the art from the creation of the art.

While listening to this piece, I found myself asking about the choices made by the composer and why they consider them “the worst”. That exercise is somewhat entertaining despite mostly finding the combination of sounds unpleasant. To me that makes this “better” than someone trying to make something of genuine quality and failing miserably.

I would never call this the worst song ever, because I think it’s brilliant, but the score is outrageously and intentionally unplayable. Of course, someone took up the challenge and you can find the video of the performance with a quick search on youtube

13 Likes

I nominate “Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo”.

3 Likes

I like it.

I like it a lot.

Some parts aren’t ideal, I admit, but tubas? Good! Harps? Good! Opera rap about Wittgenstein? Good! Accordions? Is anyone who knows Weird Al exists going to tell me accordions aren’t good?

The Most Wanted Music by the same people is far more objectionable to me.

Though I just find ‘soft rock’ and ‘lite jazz’ to be offensively relaxing and reminiscent of unpleasant situations like being dragged on errands as a child, being up too late when nothing is on but infomercials and the channel that shows stock prices while playing lite jazz, and being on hold.

1 Like

still think “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” is worse.
i’m not even trying to make light of anything.

5 Likes

So you’ve not heard any Mumford & Sons? Lucky people…

1 Like

May I contribute this gem from the 80’s

Captain of Her Heart is mostly lovely, and that is all I can say.

1 Like

ISWYDT

Which version of Stairway though?

Sorry. The worst song ever is Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You.”

1 Like

My long time candidate for the worst song ever… In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry… a randy, glob of tripe effort advising male listeners to be nice to girls who have rich fathers, but “do what you feel” with the daughters of poor fathers.

1 Like

I’m not sure I want to know how that sounds…

4 Likes