Is this the worst song ever?

I will just come out and say that I unironically enjoy the hell out of this song. It’s just so ridiculous and weird - and completely by design.

4 Likes

Cage and Stockhausen would have tackled it!

Same here. I thought I’d bust a gut… then I did when I got to no.10, a nasty take on the expressionistic “operas” that came out of the 2nd Viennese School.

2 Likes

I tend to think along similar lines about the song “Into the Night” by Benny Mardones. Given how old he was when singing about 16 year old girls, if he could fly - it would probably be an attempt to flee from prosecution. :unamused:

2 Likes

The story behind The Most Wanted/Unwanted Song was that professional polling was done to find the most/least appealing elements of music. Based on these results, the artists behind this project created two songs: The Most Wanted Song, and The Most Unwanted Song.

Wanted is a downtempo radio-friendly song with slick production, unchallenging romantic lyrics, and jazzy instrumentation. It’s the kind “easy listening for the hard of hearing” you’d expect to hear in a dentist’s office.

Unwanted is the complete opposite. It’s over 20 minutes long, contains unpopular musical elements like children singing, explicit lyrics, cowboy themes, opera, bagpipes, sudden tempo changes, bullhorns, etc. It’s complete chaos and I love it.

4 Likes

Might it be this? (Pat Boone treading water in the 70s.)

1 Like

Awful, truly.

3 Likes

And – admittedly – sad.

1 Like

90s

He’s probably done much worse.

2 Likes

Lots of those are rather UN Owen Was Her? (Google has ‘Touhou soundtracks’ loaded for bear and https://touhoudb.com/ will let you type UN Owen Was and get a load of all the fan remixes (COMIKET!) afoot.) OG games on Steam.
U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか? - Temulen - Touhou Music Database OG
Synthesia: Touhou 6 - UN OWEN WAS HER? | 88,000 Notes! | Black MIDI - YouTube Synthesia
Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz (ORIGINAL) - YouTube maybe? Short.
(Can’t tell the

• insert peanuts
  • sell mute
  • Cornet use ice, or
  • if there is a third clarinet some violists may leave
    are happening.)

Zdenec Fibich being a more mellifluous composer in the playing.
Not poll driven. Social scientists and behaviorists up in the house!

5 Likes

Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” has got to be up there. Even without all the creepy rape culture lyrics, it’s just bad musically.

1 Like

Marvin Gaye did it better, for sure.

1 Like

Video link for the BBS:

Here’s The Most Wanted Song for comparison (featuring Vernon Reid on guitar):

1 Like

And still 96% percent left to go.

1 Like

a sampling:

2 Likes

Thanks, I had not heard of that one!

Yeah, heard the first bit and immediately thought, hey - what if Holy Grail would have been a western?

1 Like

Also encourages drink-driving, which is why it was used for a drink-driving PSA in the UK:

I too unironically love “The Most Unwanted Song”, and have listened to it many times. My kids like it too.

And Mel Brooks did the Holy Grail?
It’s so grating, but all those kids celebrating holidays… and if there’s was a dusty old Walmart in the middle of the desert.
Some opera rap exposition.
Oof how many people would walk out on the cinema?

1 Like

Chopin once said that the only thing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar was the sound of two guitars.So, it seems not unreasonable to ask: “What sounds more beautiful than two guitars?”. Four Bassoons!

– Peter Schickele, introducing PDQ Bach’s “Lip my Reeds”, (S. 32’)

Four Bassoons, The way I figure it, that’s about twenty feet of unignorable musical instrument.

– Peter Schickele, passing comment on PDQ Bach’s “Lip my Reeds”, (S. 32’)

3 Likes