Is your name spiky or round? Scientific study shows people judge you based on the sound of your name

Originally published at: Is your name spiky or round? Scientific study shows people judge you based on the sound of your name | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’ m cold, disagreeable and an introvert. My name is round but no one perceives me as anything else, even first impressions. I know too many outliers to take this seriously.

4 Likes

So horoscopes got too boring and we’ve moved on?!

17 Likes

Everybody’s a synesthete.

11 Likes

Was just about to say something very similar to this ^^^ @anon40366910

Defintely have the feeling that the more we learn about consciousness - the more it’s going to appear that senses are just somewhat locally well defined tendrils reaching out into the world from a unifying associative blob.

7 Likes

Uncovering these hidden associations holds one important real-life lesson: we probably read too much into other people’s names.

9 Likes

So, “woody” versus “tinny”?

13 Likes

Dammit - I came here to say that.

5 Likes

So did I.

3 Likes

If my name sounds odd, is that my mistake?

3 Likes

Next up: what the bumps on your head tell us about your future!

Yeah, it’s a silly exercise, but it might have some value in understanding how people respond to us during first impressions. People’s brains are weird, and associations like “spiky” and “round” are interesting to examine, even if they don’t actually relate to real personality traits. Who we are is so complex. Who people think we are is another shade to that puzzle.

6 Likes

So that’s why they call it that.

6 Likes

My first name begins with an m and ends in a k. Do people therefore perceive me as wishy-washy?

1 Like

Just this, but for names.

1 Like

Far from it, they just think you’re a little confused about human culture, and have an alien sense of humor.

6 Likes

While I believe this is bogus, there are studies showing how the first letter of your last name can impact your life - mostly because throughout school and other group activities, most organizations list groups alphabetically - meaning those with last names that start with A-E are frequently given more opportunities because they appear higher on those lists.

I think my name sound smooth… not round, no spikes.

I was wondering how the Matt’s of the world get on. (note I am not a Matt, but I know one)

download

2 Likes

People tend to walk all over them.

3 Likes