ISIS beheads American journalist

As an atheist myself, I have to agree with @dug: the oldest pipe dream in the world is that once everyone thinks like us, there will be peace.

4 Likes

And dammit, we are going to give it to them if we have to kill every last one of them.

2 Likes

Like Hamas they want a fight and don’t give a shit how many civilians on their side are slaughtered as a result.

What a cheap way to capitalize on this atrocity for your political agenda.

I wasn’t aware I had a political agenda.

I´m sure you don´t.

I agree. I also am thinking why can’t WE, as capitalists, just be straight up? If they have oil that we need, let’s just take it and ignore the rest. Just put up a big wall around the oil region, drive all the people out. It would be more honest than what we are doing there currently.

1 Like

Ah, I was counting the hours until a “USA is just as bad!!” post.

Was starting to get worried - thanks for not letting me down.

Must go now and clean up the severed heads from my front yard…

1 Like

Well, apparently the family wants people to NOT watch this video, so top marks to BoingBoing for drawing attention to it. I’m sure nobody who saw this article went in search of the footage.

Maybe you should consider putting actual news items like this in a separate tab and everything else (i.e. stuff that isn’t horrible and doesn’t make you want to hate your own species) in another. That way people can choose if they want to see how miserable and shitty the world really is, or just find “wonderful things”. There was certainly nothing wonderful about this item, or several others over recent days.

I can’t be the only person that finds a site that shows a cat riding a Roomba in one article and a man facing his own execution in another to be horribly conflicted in the message it is putting out.

I guess what I’m saying is that you need to think about how you present all this stuff and find an alternative way of doing it. A lot of people come here purely for the funny stories, or tech updates and so on. If I want to see the world “red in tooth and claw” as it were, I can just switch on the TV. I don’t watch TV anymore because of crap like this.

Please don’t become another sensationalist news channel.

Good on ya’ for being ignorant of world events and for trying to pass that ignorance on to others. Presumably, you’ve also managed to avoid the articles related to the violence in Ferguson? The ones related to the shelling of Gaza? The ones about the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17? Those were referenced on this site.

For many people, the world is not a very nice place to live, and shutting your eyes to that, just because it makes you uncomfortable, is the epitome of irresponsible privilege.

EDIT:
And I did not, in fact, go looking for footage of the beheading. Believe it or not, it’s possible to stay informed and respectful, at the same time.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re trying to say, but posting an image/still from the video reinforces the video’s newsworthiness, which perpetuates circulation of the video and other stills. The context and narrative of the video is indeed newsworthy, but circulating images and stills is counterintuitive to discouraging the circulation and viewing of the video, whatever your moral stance may be.

Oh, you live in one of those places on Obama’s drone-kill list? Was it your innocent relatives who were killed? So sorry to hear you’re another victim of American imperialist barbarism…

1 Like

Exactly. So WE should stop being so fucking evil. Because, where the fuck is god? He sure doesn’t seem to be helping either side, so maybe god=satan? Fairy tales allow people to blame “the other”, while never holding themselves accountable.

1 Like

Pretty much, aye.

Not very, seems to me (I won’t risk repeating it). But then, I don’t always follow nice, polite, middle-class expectations for decorum.

More than a few certainly said the same after WWI. IIRC that, in part, is how Dada started.

According to the Guardian, the speaker is very likely a British national, which, if true, would deflate your isolationist interpretation.

1 Like

Can someone please remind me again why torturing terrorists (like these) is wrong?

Because torture doesn’t work:

http://harpers.org/blog/2009/09/torture-doesnt-work-neurobiologist-says/

2 Likes

First we need to get rid of all organised religion.