ISIS is Daesh--not the African-Kemetic (Egyptian) goddess Isis

You are right it is not a debatable point–because homicide is synonymous with murder.

hom·i·cide
/ˈhäməˌsīd/
noun

1. the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder "he was charged with homicide" synonyms: murder, killing, slaughter, butchery, massacre, assassination, execution, extermination, patricide, matricide, infanticide, slaying

Homicide Definition - FindLaw
criminal.findlaw.com › Criminal Charges

To begin with, not all homicides are crimes. Homicides include all killings of humans. Many homicides, such as murder and manslaughter, violate criminal laws.

Wiktionary Rate these synonyms:

homicide(noun)

Synonyms:
man-slayer, first-degree murder, murderer, killer, assassin, manslaughter, assassination, killing, murder, second-degree murder

Like any other tool, whether or not it works depends upon how you use it, and what for.

1 Like

Are we talking about my penis again?

2 Likes

He has risen! Can I get a witness? XD

3 Likes

3 Likes

Well I don’t speak Arabic, but I’ll tell you what I do know: Say I started a state called Confederated Union of National Territories. I would have only myself to blame, wouldn’t I? Seriously.

Wait how about Constitutional Republic of Associated Principalities? The People’s Republic of Independent Communist Kingdoms? Help me out here, people.

Call it Daesh. I would only use ISIL if I was speaking to an audience that might not know Daesh. ISIS is the jazzed-up made-for-TV version that they don’t deserve.

2 Likes

Really!?!? Manslaughter is a synonym for first degree murder!? Are you just toying with me?

Okay, I am done. You do not understand what those words mean.

1 Like

Smart post, President Obama used ISIL a lot when talking about Daesh in front of American viewers.

Daesh is a sophisticated group of terrorist who use social media to get their message out, like no other terrorist group in memory…

They with out a doubt are using social media as a jazzed up public relations tool, in an attempt to communicate and display their be-headings of innocent people, recruit supporters and future terrorists–and portray themselves as the saviors of Islam…

1 Like

Oh boy!

I like you–so let me help you out. Here is a legal website that may help.

What Are The Different Types of Homicide

What Are The Different Types Of Homicide?

Every state in the United States has different types of homicide classifications. However, these classifications generally fall into three general categories. Those general categories are:

Murder
Manslaughter
Justifiable Homicide

Regardless of the circumstances or the outcome of the charges, a homicide involves the taking of a human life and a homicide attorney should be contacted to guide you through the legal process.
Murder

Murder is typically broken down further into two categories:

First-Degree Murder
Second Degree Murder

First-Degree Murder: First-degree murder, most serious of all homicide charges, is reserved for situations where the person accused of the homicide planned the killing and intended for the victim to die because of his or her actions. Famous cases involving first-degree murder include the Charles Manson, O.J. Simpson, and Scott Petersen cases out of California. These cases are usually the most heinous crimes and as such, the most severe punishments are usually reserved for these convictions. In many states, those convicted of first-degree murder will face the death penalty or life in prison.

Second-Degree Murder: Second-degree murder is a charge reserved for cases where it cannot be proved that the killer planned the killing but where the killer still intended that the victim die because of her or her actions. A recent famous case involving a second-degree murder charge is the Phil Spector case out of California. Situations where second-degree murder charges arise are sometimes described as “crimes of passion” or instances where the killing occurred in the “heat of passion.” In some states, individuals convicted of this crime can face life in prison with or without the possibility of parole, depending on the state’s laws and the situation’s circumstances.
Manslaughter

The charge of manslaughter is reserved for instances where the accused did not plan the crime nor did he or she intend for the victim to die because of his or her actions. Manslaughter charges usually arise out of accidental circumstances where a person died because of the event. A manslaughter case in recent history is that of Michael Jackson’s doctor, Conrad Murray. Sentences for those convicted of manslaughter vary widely depending on state laws and the circumstances of the event in question.
Justifiable Homicide

Justifiable homicide is reserved for situations where an individual killed another in self-defense or similar circumstances. This really is not a legal charge, but rather a classification for which authorities can register an event where an individual died but no crime was committed. The case of Ann and Jim Tatum out of Colorado is an example of a well-known justifiable homicide situation. In these situations, no criminal charges are filed.

1 Like
  1. Daesh isn’t bad or anything, but we’re pretty clear that this isn’t some ‘Swastika’ level event. ISIL also works fine if you want to make sure the rednecks don’t go all 'you’re trying to be politically correct (they don’t care about Isis the awesome deity). I like ‘mass murdering fuckheads’ myself, but that might be too specific.

2. Adolf and Gaylord…now THEY have problems. You guys should talk to them about having your name inconveniently associated with something else.

3. The point of they ‘they’re just fucking murderers’ argument is that some don’t think they deserve to get special treatment because they’re acting like thugs.

4. In case you missed the other (more appropriate) digression, we’re talking about my penis now.

I won’t derail further. You honestly made my point. They aren’t synonyms, they are–as the article you linked clearly says–classifications. And their properties and implications are not transitive in both directions, which is very important. I shall now go back to where I usually lurk and post fish puns and pictures of food :slight_smile:

Edit

You seem like a hoopy frood, so I don’t want any bad blood because of semantics.

5 Likes

This thread was derailed the moment it began, don’t you worry!

We’re just finally being honest about it :wink:

3 Likes

You posted:

“They aren’t synonyms”

Unbelievable, almost any dictionary you source lists murder and homicide as synonyms.

The fact that murder is also a classification of homicide in the link, makes your decision to willfully and suddenly decamp a honorable and admirable decision.

Murder is a synonym of homicide!

homicide [ hom-uh-sahyd, hoh-muh- ]
Main Entry: homicide
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: killing
Synonyms: assassination, big chill, bloodshed, bump-off, butchery, carnage, crime, death, erase*, foul play, hit, manslaughter, murder, offing, ride, rubout, slaying
Antonyms: birth

https://www.powerthesaurus.org/homicide

homicide > synonyms
murder n. & v.|killing, help, crime
manslaughter n.|murder, killing, forethought
assassination n.|murder, killing
killing n.|murder, killing, help, crime
execution n.|murder
murderer n.|person, help
slaying n.|murder, killing
slayer n.|help, person, murderer
carnage n.|killing, massacre

1 Like

I think what he’s saying is that the words aren’t interchangable. They have different implications. Murder implies intent, whereas homicide does not necessarily do so.

For instance, “horrify” generally has an implication of “disgust” - in fact, that’s one of its listed synonyms. “Terrify”, on the other hand, generally just means “frighten” with no implication of disgust. However, “terrify” is listed as a synonym for “horrify.”

The two words have similar meanings but vastly different implications, which, I think, is why they’re arguing that they’re not synonymous.

4 Likes

I think we need a Venn diagram.

5 Likes

I think we need to ignore the trolley who just came in to argue (and yet derail) this one topic. :scream:

3 Likes

I don’t see this as much of a derailment: the thread is about what name we should use to describe a group; this tangent is about what words we should use to describe what they’re doing.

3 Likes

The fact is dictionaries list murder as a synonym of homicide–there is no argument or debate.

Implications, interchangeable, speculation are irrelevant–murder and homicide are synonymous.

Calling a terrorist group ISIS is disrespectful to those who value African history. No one in America would allow and champion calling a terrorist group Jesus or The Virgin Mary.

1 Like

It doesn’t do this in any way at all that I can see. It is simply an Arabic acronym that stands for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant/Syria (depending on how you translate ‘al-Sham’). The fact that it sounds a bit like another word doesn’t hold much water for me, I’ve not seen any good justification that this similarity is particularly offensive to members of ISIS. At the moment they seem to be offended by anyone under their control who does not use their official title, al-Dawlah al-Islamīyah, and people under their control don’t speak English, so it’s hardly surprising they don’t talk about how much they dislike the terms ISIS or ISIL.

2 Likes

You posted:

“I don’t see this as much of a derailment: the thread is about what name we should use to describe a group; this tangent is about what words we should use to describe what they’re doing.”

Excellent observation!

I agree with you. The majority of the Muslim world calls Daesh by the name–Daesh.

They use the name Daesh because Daesh does not represent Islam or what Is!am stands for–and it best describes who they are, which is zealot, psychotic and religious bigots, who use force and violence to attempt to impose their Neanderthal, warped and demented version of Islam on others.

Second, they don’t like being called Daesh. They have nothing in common with the mythical African goddess Isis–and it is an insult to African history that the name is used in association with a terrorist organization.

1 Like