Isle of Dogs: trailer for stop-motion Wes Anderson movie about dogs

So? There looks to be several Japanese voice actors as well. With all the calls of diverse stories and actors/actresses to play them, it appears to be a nice mix. Of course someone will be upset, but you can’t please everyone. The Anime director of Full Metal Alchemist has criticized the all Japanese cast for the live action film for looking nothing like the characters. You can’t win, either way.

3 Likes

Exactly, the voice cast is amazing and diverse, I think this’ll be great. I was just saying that, unlike what someone had believed, it wasn’t a movie where all the Japanese people spoke English.

2 Likes

my personal test for whether depictions of chinese and/or japanese culture by white people sits well with me is whether it evokes nostalgia—when i saw for a split second the words 学校牛乳 in that precise, wonderful lettering, oh boy.

1 Like

The trailer was so Wes Anderson it hurts.

4 Likes

Wes Anderson films are among the few I buy on DVD. Not all of them . . . Life Aquatic was “meh,” and I didn’t like Rushmore much.

Grand Budapest? Mr. Fox? Moonrise? Tannenbaums? Good, painful, wonderful.

Sent the trailer link to my budding hipster niece. I hope she doesn’t mind my posting her reply:

“It’s funny, I’ve been on a Wes Anderson kick these last few days and have watched three of his movies. SO looking forward to this one! My recent photo project is actually inspired by his symmetrical and very saturated way of filming!”

Heh, heh, someone in the family who sees more than “well, that was weird!”

2 Likes

Then it wouldn’t look like a Wes Anderson film.

1 Like

Those nice bright colors? Like the greens of summers?
That make you think all the world’s a sunny day?

I do love the aesthetic of some of his films though.

1 Like

My son absolutely loves this movie. He’s obsessed with foxes. The adult humor flies right over his head, maybe not so much with your kid since she’s a few years older.

@nungesser: Kubo was fantastic. My kid didn’t dig it that much, but I really want to see it a few more times.

3 Likes

I’ll have to go find it and check it out. If it’s PG its probably ok, but I can screen it first.

Kubo was pretty good. Really liked the style.

IMDB has it at PG. I’ll likely end up buying a copy Thanksgiving week when physical copies of movies are cheap.

1 Like

I find that one’s enjoyment of Life Aquatic (and Rushmore) is closely tied to how much you enjoy watching Bill Murray. My parents loathed it, but they dislike Bill Murray. I’d be happy watching him read a phone book, so I really love that film.

What’s interesting is that they also hated Mr Fox (“I felt like there was an inside joke I wasn’t in on.” - Dad) but fell deeply in love with Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson’s a divisive taste in film.

Then again, I’ve never talked to anyone who’s more than “meh” about Darjeeling Limited.

1 Like

I know several parents, and especially fathers, who were hit really hard by Kubo. It’s a marvelous movie on its own, but apparently parenthood makes it especially poignant.

4 Likes

I’m a mom, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I bawled through pretty much the entire movie. 5 stars, would totally do it again!

1 Like

Darjeeling fell flat on me, I felt like Anderson was becoming one note.

How about Bill Murray drinking coffee?

2 Likes

I liked it. I couldn’t necessarily tell you why though.

I really liked Darjeeling the first time through, in the theater. Enough to buy the DVD, when it was on special. But I didn’t remember to list it in my post above. Kind of forgot about it.

I do like the symbolism of the baggage.

Same here, it’s a very beautiful movie visually and I quite enjoyed it in the theater, and I think I have the DVD, but have never felt the need to re-watch it. It’s the odd Wes Anderson film that I find most people say “…oh yeah, I always forget about that one. I liked it, I think.” It didn’t have the lasting impact of his others, for some reason.

The best part of Coffee & Cigarettes! Well, that and just watching Iggy Pop and Tom Waits hanging out.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find a “make you jealous”* photo I took earlier in the year:

Turns out that Laika studios is located behind the local dog park. I’d heard they were in Hillsboro, but not where!

The dark-painted converted warehouse is totally unmarked, but there’s a sign in the parking lot, “NO LAIKA PARKING!” Probably put up by a neighboring business tired of animators hogging the parking spaces.

*Well, really there’s nothing to be jealous about. They don’t have tours or a lobby full of display cases. But it is cool knowing the place is right there!