Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

I’m wondering about the impact this is going to have on the UN as an institution?

4 Likes

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/10/middleeast/israel-sde-teiman-detention-whistleblowers-intl-cmd/index.html

4 Likes

The Guardian (no onebox because of a bug):

Joe Biden is desperate for this war to end – but neither Netanyahu nor Hamas is in any hurry

1 Like
4 Likes

Rape, torture, endless encarceration with no due proces, are absolutely routine in Israel.

Israel has been abducting Palestinian hostages to use as pawns later for decades on a mass scale. It’s utterly grotesque that the rule of law and democracy has been a thing that “liberals” hold out as being uniquely Israeli in the Middle East when they have no human rights for Palestinians, black sites, mass hostage taking, and all the horrific abuses that we associate with autocracies in the Middle East.

Liberalism in the US to me has been defined by the idea that Jeffrey Prison Guard the editor of the Atlantic is a leading liberal voice and expert on Israel.

Would you consider a Hamas kidnapper to be such? That’s who he is. Just whiter. And richer obvs.

7 Likes

and reviving its UN membership bid

7 Likes

The United States voted against it, along with Israel, Argentina, Czechia, Hungary, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Papua New Guinea

The US and Israel I get. Why did the others?

3 Likes

Argentina: Javier Millei is engaging in pro-Western virtue signalling (as with his support for Ukraine) because the previous government was friendly to China.

The others: probably because they are afraid of US aid being cut if they vote the wrong way.

1 Like
3 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Crack in US-Israel alliance for first time in decades

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

3 Likes

The Guardian (no onebox because of a bug):