Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

https://archive.ph/swbBA

3 Likes

I realize you qualified this later with a qualifying ā€œbut itā€™s still awfulā€ statement, but, really? Thatā€™s a takeaway? I realize this was posted a while ago but I havenā€™t been able to stop thinking about this and I had to get this off my chest.

2 Likes

In a mobile phone call is each caller on a separate channel? And would the microphone on each phone pick up any sound from its own loudspeaker (i.e. the voice of the other caller)?

To be honest, this isnā€™t my area of expertise. I could imagine a monitoring / recording software that records each participant to a separate audio track, even on a cell call, but I have no practical knowledge in this area.

As far as crosstalk, I know that most (if not all) cell phones have technology in place to minimize self-feedback. Occasionally you can still hear yourself echoed on the other line, but itā€™s relatively rare ā€“ I think thereā€™s also usually a noise floor thatā€™s removed as well. If phones werenā€™t good at this thereā€™d be tons of feedback on many calls, especially speakerphone calls. (Additional disclaimer: IANAAE)

In any case itā€™s quite possible to hear occasional snippets of party A on party Bā€™s line and vice-versa, but (I hypothesize) you wouldnā€™t really be able to detect a lot of that by visually inspecting the waveform in the same way you might for two channels of an on-location stereo recording.

Aside: if we had an idea of where the parties are supposed to be relative to each other, we could get confirmatory evidence if there was a sound (e.g. an explosion or something) that we knew the location of that was audible to both parties.

Anyway, I am getting way out of my depth so I should defer to someone with appropriate domain knowledge.

2 Likes

Just fucking kids. Yeah I get it they get to have fun in the desert and all and others a few kilometres away are in an open air prison/blockade but this thread began with that because it was a single instance of mass murder of young people for no reason than they were young people of the wrong kind having dumb fun.

ETA
I thought it was uncontroversial as it was multiply sourced and evidenced so we knew it happened, and it was an unforgivable crime against humanity to massacre people like that. And young people makes it more poignant, for me at least.

3 Likes

ā€¦ in old phone company commercials from decades ago they used to brag about how customers could hear all the background sounds on the other end of the line

US Sprint Long Distance - You Can Hear a Pin Dropā„¢

Now thatā€™s all gone, itā€™s filtered out on purpose :disappointed:

1 Like

If you take this failed attempt at snark at face value, these idiots are saying ā€œit must be a coincidence that protesters against the Israeli regime look just like anti-fascistsā€.

3 Likes

(excerpt) The move came on the same day that the Biden administration formally asked Congress for billions of dollars in emergency funding for Israel Gaza.

That plus two US warships in the Red Sea. Above and ā€œgunboat diplomacyā€ encouraged the releases?

3 Likes

And mediation by Qatar.

From the Guardian liveblog:

36m ago20.24 BST

The US president thanked the governments of Qatar and Israel for their partnership in securing the release of the two American hostages.

The US has been working ā€œaround-the-clockā€ to free American hostages and it has not ceased its efforts for those who are still being held by Hamas, Biden said in a statement.

As I told those families when I spoke with them last weekā€”we will not stop until we get their loved ones home. As president, I have no higher priority than the safety of Americans held hostage around the world.

1h ago19.47 BST

US and allies pressing Israel to delay Gaza invasion to get hostages out ā€“ report

The US and European governments have been putting pressure on Israel to delay its ground invasion of Gaza to buy time for secret talks under way to win the release of hostages held by Hamas, according to a report.

The negotiations with Hamas via Qatar are delicate and may fail, Bloomberg reported on Friday, citing people familiar with the efforts.

The sources told the outlet that there are signs that Hamas might agree to release at least some of its civilian hostages without demanding Israel release any prisoners in return.

Israel agreed under US pressure to hold off a massive military operation, they said.

3 Likes

I know a little about this.

In the olden days of 1G AMPS analog service, it was two channels per call (one for each direction). It was incredibly expensive (in terms of bandwidth) since thereā€™s a limited range of frequencies you can use. Each carrier had a block of 333 channel pairs. Cellular calls could also be listened to easily with any scanner that could listen at 850MHz (although you could only hear one side of the call unless you had a fancy trunking scanner that could understand how to track the call end to end).

2G used digital TDMA which used multiplexing to slice every call into little chunks that could allow for huge amounts of simultaneous calls within the frequency band (and more modern technologies continued to build on this concept). However calls still had one channel per party and arenā€™t bidirectional (which is why thereā€™s the phenomenon of talking over one another). Modern cellular networks basically work on the same principles.

TDMA has long since been abandoned by more modern technologies but itā€™s still used by many public service agencies. Here in the Puget Sound area I publish the scanner feed for my agency. Since the transition from the 20 year old old analog SmartNET service a few months to the more modern digital P25 service I have gone from being able to pick up around 20 feeds specific to my local area on 6 frequencies to being able to pick up the entire county and some 200 feeds from the entire county while only needing to listen on 5 different frequencies. This is all using the venerable same TDMA technology that 2G cellular service used to use. (Sadly, the scanner recording voice quality has degraded significantly since moving to digital. Anybody who was around back when cell phones made this transition knows exactly what Iā€™m talking about.)

Anyway, what this all means is that if you have a listening device designed for this, you can easily separate each side of a wireless phone call. Microphones on cell phones have some sort of noise and echo cancellation in place.

6 Likes

Yeah. Telephone calls are full duplex, so incoming and outgoing channels are separate.

Any full duplex system has the potential for feedback loops, but mobile phones are designed to isolate the mic from the speaker output then do echo cancellation and noise suppression in software.

It can still happen if you have an external mic or speakers or very high speaker volume in say, a small echoy room though.

3 Likes

Has anyone posted his article yet?

https://archive.ph/ig5Zv

4 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

6 Likes

3 Likes

Erg. Yeah, those guys are the ones who claim that because the IDFā€™s recording was in stereo, it must be doctored because they incorrectly believe call intercepts are mono.

There seems to be a lot of really questionable analysis coming out by some groups tied to Palestine. Whether bias is coloring their analysis or theyā€™re starting with a conclusion and working backwards or theyā€™re fighting with propaganda, I donā€™t know, but itā€™s really bad.

That ForensicArchi account, said the crater at the hospital was caused by an artillery shell. To prove it, they showed another picture of a crater in Ukraine they said was caused by artillery, but was actually caused by a Grad rocket - the remains of which were visible in the photo.

Al Jazeeraā€™s analysis claims a rocket, clearly still in boost phase, was hit by an Israeli terminal interceptor over Gaza which isnā€™t possible. Never mind that you can clearly make out the rocket having flipped on Al Jazeeraā€™s own live broadcast footage.

There were several detailed analyses that ā€œprovedā€ a JDAM bomb hit it which went right out the window the second photos came out of the still standing hospital, tiny crater and very little shrapnel.

Every time something from them turns out to be wrong - especially when it is dramatically so, it erodes trust in anything else they say.

Meanwhile, everyone else keeps coming to the same conclusion:

4 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes