Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

And in the West Bank:

A reminder this forum is for sharing news and information about the War: opinions are not welcome, regardless of how benign or what they are about. This is not a place for any discussion, as we can not moderate it.

I realize folks will think “My comment wasn’t a problem,” and maybe it isn’t, but the next one will be, and we do not have the resources. Sharing information is important on its own.

3 Likes
1 Like

Israel’s Other Shitty Neighbors:

Related:

Wow. A random dentist being tasked to evacuate buildings by a mysterious person over the phone?

That’s like out of a movie. It’s almost unbelievable.

As someone who grew up in Britain in the 80s and 90s, it is all too believable.

6 Likes

Yeah I mean, I can see it happening. It’s just, a dentist being tasked with evacuating dozens of apartment buildings. He had to organize a group to get to everyone then lead people to safety. His phone dying and him missing a call and fearing that he might have missed saving others. It’s just nuts.

Mahmoud Shaheen is a truly a hero.

6 Likes

From the Guardian liveblog:

1h ago19.13 GMT

The UN high commissioner for human rights, Volker TĂźrk, issued an urgent appeal for a ceasefire as he visited the Rafah crossing in Egypt today.

Türk described the border crossing as a “lifeline” for the 2.3 million people in Gaza, but described it as an “unjustly, outrageously thin” lifeline.

The humanitarian aid that has been getting into Gaza is a “trickle” and with “severely limited” geographical reach, he said.

People remain “deeply vulnerable” in all parts of Gaza, he said, noting an “urgent humanitarian imperative” to reach those increasingly populated, including in the northern and middle parts of the Gaza Strip. He said:

Just in the last few days my colleagues have been receiving reports about an orphanage in the northern governorate that has 300 children in need of urgent help. With communications down and access roads impassable and unsafe, we cannot get to them.

Full text of his statement:
https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements-and-speeches/2023/11/un-human-rights-chief-visits-rafah-border-crossing-gaza

2 Likes

The World Health Organization announced that a convoy with medical supplies has reached the Al-Shifa hospital with the assistance of the UN’s UNRWA agency..

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Palestine files complaint with atomic agency over Israel’s nuclear bomb threat

Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki has filed a formal complaint with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) against Israel over its minister’s threat to drop a nuclear bomb on Gaza.

According to the Palestinian news agency Wafa, al-Maliki sent an official letter to IAEA Director-General Rafael Mariano Grossi on Wednesday, stating that the nuclear threat is “completely consistent with the prevailing discourse in Israel” against Palestinians.

The threat entails “an official recognition that Israel possesses nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction”, he said.

Earlier this week, Israeli Heritage Minister Amihai Eliyahu, a member of the far-right Otzma Yehudit party, told Israeli media that dropping a “nuclear bomb” on Gaza is “an option”. The Israeli government distanced itself from the comments and Eliyahu was suspended from ministerial meetings.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like