Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0hUw1-O346/

4 Likes

The destruction of more than a third of Gaza’s homes as Israel bombards the territory in pursuit of Hamas is leading international legal experts to raise the concept of “domicide” – the mass destruction of dwellings to make the territory uninhabitable.

In the current Gaza war, launched after the 7 October attack by Hamas on southern Israel, independent experts estimate that as much as 40% of the housing in Gaza has been damaged or destroyed. The UN says 1.8 million people are internally displaced inside Gaza, many living in overcrowded UN shelters in the south.

Strange how close the word domicile is to domicide.

1 Like

And yet no one calls out the right wing politicans disingenously twisting the words of the university professors. The media yet again just taking the side of the far right…

3 Likes

Order MAY break down… Um… what? Hasn’t it already!!!

1 Like

Um.

Edit: Date is wrong in the preview. It’s from last month.

Of course there is antisemitism, and of course some are trying to weaponize support for Palestinians in that regard… but the shit that the right wing actual fascists were implying does not mean that ALL protests against the MASS SLAUGHTER of Palestinians are antisemitic. I’m not sure what’s so confusing or challenging about that.

They are trying to make you hate the people who are currently being slaughtered by a more powerful army. Don’t let them do that. One can care about antisemitism and about the Palestinian people at the same time. Anyone telling you that you can’t is trying to fool you.

9 Likes

:rage:

From the Guarian liveblog:

8h ago05.19 GMT

The Palestinian poet Refaat Alareer was killed in an Israeli strike, his friends said overnight Thursday.

“My heart is broken, my friend and colleague Refaat Alareer was killed with his family a few minutes ago,” wrote his friend, the Gazan poet Mosab Abu Toha, on Facebook.

“I don’t want to believe this. We both loved to pick strawberries together.”

Alareer had said a few days after Israel began its ground offensive in October that he refused to leave northern Gaza, Agence France-Presse reported.

The Literary Hub website also paid tribute to him, while author and journalist Ramzy Baroud wrote on X: “Rest in peace Refaat Alareer. We will continue to be guided by your wisdom, today and for eternity.”

Alareer, a professor of English literature at the Islamic University of Gaza, was also one of the co-founders of the “We are not numbers” project, which pairs authors from Gaza with mentors abroad who help them write stories in English about their experiences.

>More than 17,000 people - mostly women and children - have been killed in the besieged Palestinian enclave.

United Nations:
Secretary-General’s remarks to the Security Council - on the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian Question

(I wish that UN sites would onebox.)

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like