It looked like sheer fun grabbing "free money" from an armored truck, but 2 people were arrested

Originally published at: It looked like sheer fun grabbing "free money" from an armored truck, but 2 people were arrested | Boing Boing

6 Likes

If I had a broom there I could have really cleaned up!

13 Likes

I would imagine the real outcome is people lost money indirectly. I’d be shocked if the armored car company doesn’t have an insurance policy. So premiums would go up once they pay out. Armored car company charges businesses more to cover it. Businesses raise prices? But even if they lost like 30k out the back of a truck one time, I doubt the trickle down costs would be that much.

6 Likes

Geniuses. To hell with considering the possibility of any emergency services vehicles needing the way clear. Not to mention people trying to make it to the airport, or needing to make it to a doctor’s appointment.

7 Likes

What happened to the driver? Where did they go? Did they just say, “Fuck it. I quit.” and walk away?

8 Likes

All I see here are a bunch of good Samaritans cleaning up litter along a freeway that some corporation dropped, marring the environment…

Doesn’t the FBI have more important things to do?

21 Likes

I bet they were on the phone with authorities trying to let people (authorities, supervisors) know this was happening. Trying to individually stop every person on the road from picking up bills would be pretty dumb, and very ineffective.

5 Likes

Makes sense, but why abandon the truck?

6 Likes

Portable shop vac would’ve been nice.

6 Likes

i am suddenly reminded of the golden girls…

ScreenShot2012-12-18at43256PM_zps342c94fc

13 Likes

Oh this actually happened? I thought it was just an episode of Money Heist.

2 Likes

I’m curious what the law is when someone loses possession of their cash and others pick it up. I suppose, as in this case, if there’s a reasonable expectation that you know where the cash came from that it’s a crime to keep it. But surely it can’t be against the law to pick up money you find on the street if you can’t determine its origin. Although…I suppose maybe it is…

4 Likes

I like money.

8 Likes

It’s called “Theft by Finding”. The person charged in this case knows it’s not just abandoned cash and they take it anyway without trying to determine the rightful owner.

8 Likes

There’s a John Cusack movie whole movie about this scenario, and it didn’t end well for the main character either.

7 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve seen people do the same thing with truckloads of spilled produce on the freeway, like oranges and avocados. It may not be especially smart or ethical but it should be 1000% expected if there’s literally thousands of dollars of cash on the side of the road. Heck, some of those people would probably be just fine with showing up late to their own doctors appointments in exchange for handfuls of easy (and I’ll-begotten) cash.

2 Likes

I do think it says something important about just how much our system is organized for the benefit of banks and bankers that, when they misplace/spill something valuable, it’s an actual crime for someone else to find it and pick it up. If my wallet falls out of my pocket, I don’t expect to be able to press charges against whoever finds it. And what would happen if none of the money got returned? The bank’s insurance company would presumably eat most of the loss, while the community benefited from a cash infusion.

6 Likes

Windfall. Nothing like this happens to me.There are not enough armoured cars in this world.I would return a tithe - if pressed.

2 Likes

we’ll know people are finally paid enough at work when they aren’t coming to a screeching halt on the highway to pickup random discards.

( ancient american proverb )

7 Likes