It may be possible to erase bad memories

[Permalink]

I’ve wished on a number of occasions to be able to pull an Eternal Sunshine on several ex-girlfriends. Please let this be a reality soon! Goodbye Kelly, goodbye Anna. :wink:

1 Like

You do realise that your comment sounds a wee bit… creepy?

You just got to go after those memories fast enough.

1 Like

Great, so we’re revisiting Ewen Cameron’s absolutely ghastly experiments (not to mention the central basic conceit of Old Mother Hubbard’s Dianetics) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Ewen_Cameron

Is it better to erase bad memories or better to face the pain head on and overcome them? I know from experience how traumatizing life can be, but overcoming these dark moments rather than burying them is what give us a chance to develop a richer character and become better, more compassionate people.

1 Like

So the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a documentary, huh?

1 Like

I use an interesting ‘superfluid’ called rum. Does the trick.

3 Likes

electroshock ‘therapy’ softened with the comfort of acronymity to ect. just one letter away from et. electroconvulsive therapy is just another inhumane treatment of the human form.

1 Like

Before you go for the drugs or the electroshock therapy, eye-movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) may be worth a try. The studies, which are being replicated over and over, are starting to pile up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing

1 Like

I’m talking about erasing them from my memory, not vice versa. I’m pretty sure they’ve already done the reverse!

1 Like

Oh, that’s okay then… I’m with you on that, though my brain seems to be doing a good job of erazing all memories by itself.

1 Like

…or the lobotomy, partial or fatal. this does sound more humane by comparison. her 8 step process includes a ‘Phase V Installation’. while i agree with the idea that consentual caring can be therapeutic, the unnecessary entendres for much of ‘psychology’ for me, pile up fast.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/single_entendre

I wish they could explain this process scientifically, because it sounds like hokum but you’re right: it often works when nothing else does.

Be very grateful if the most extreme you’ve experienced in life is some Dark Moments.

I wish they could explain this process scientifically, because it sounds like hokum

I know, right? It works in practice, but does it work in theory.

1 Like

The problem with this is that it works without anyone knowing why, or how, or what other effects it creates.

This (and just about every other psychiatric treatment) seems like the equivalent of percussive maintenance.

Cheers!

This seems like awfully dangerous research. I understand the benefits, certainly for victims of all manner of traumas, but, at the same time, isn’t there something powerful and important to that memory? To being witness and speaking?

I’ve had good success with a technique a psychiatrist taught me. When intense painful memories surface, rather than suppressing the memory again, I engage with it, feel the emotion, and forgive myself for the mistake, using a variety of methods. A good deep breath in and out during this (or a few) helps to expunge the emotional intensity. I used to suffer from daily suicidal ideation, and now I’m so much happier and less stressed.

1 Like