It's so me

Makes sense. It’d be wasteful to just vacuum up the dust and dispose of it.

So you’re one of those Second Amendment people, then?

Seriously, around where I live people really do use $2 bills as a subtle clue they’re totally into guns, militias, and (often) crypto-racism. Of course, not everyone uses the bills that way. I enjoy paying with them from time to time just to see people’s reactions, and I like to give them to friends’ kids. But that subset of people really does exist.

2 Likes

Yah, I think my only objects are clothing.

Dunstaffnage music festival crew t-shirt and a hoody I spent my ah… magicky years doing umm… stuff in.

Guess I have an unfinished art portfolio I keep around…oh and a book on formal logic by Tomassi, he was one of my philosophy prof. Great guy, was very nice to me and he sadly died a few years later.

Leant that to a friend who was going to uni, should really get it back.

5 Likes

“Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are books that other folks have lent me.” ― Anatole France

Even Captain Adama knows that.

10 Likes

When I would get them in tips as a pizza delivery driver, my mom would always assume that the people I’d gotten them from had recently been to the racetrack.

2 Likes

Hmm something that is me?

For my love of plastic models and Kaiju films.

For my love of Doc in particular and 30’s, 40’s pulp fiction in general.

5 Likes

Oh no, I like two dollar bills cause they are beautifully designed, slightly rare, and anyone under thirty has probably never seen one.

If I could pay with buffalo nickels or vintage SF quarters I would.

I’ll leave the gun debate for another thread, but here are my axioms: shooting is fun, handguns for protection is stupid, and ar-15s are owned by people whose judgement you should seriously question.

And if you open carry without it being secured on your person I will yell at you.

4 Likes

I have a few things with which I strongly identify. I have a Threadless hoodie with the “Impasse” artwork on it:

…which is totally me (“None shall pass” vs. “You shall not pass” still makes me giggle), but the shirt itself isn’t because it’s not as comfy as a t-shirt, and they’re still sold out of my size of t-shirt.

I also have a “screaming chicken” Trans Am logo t-shirt that I’d wear every day if I could, but it’s faded and worn out so I only sleep in it anymore.

I have countless tchotchkes that all attempt to somehow be a part of me, but most of them don’t quite resonate with me to the point where I’d actually miss them if they vanished. My bike, my flamed desk clock, my monocle, my glass eye, my baritone Gretsch, my drums, my hand-built bookcase, my toolchest, my collection of root beers, even Sir Galaxy.

My 1970 Mercury Cougar is probably the possession I own that feels the most “me,” partly because I’ve owned it for 20 years now, and partly because I’ve put so much time and effort and blood and sweat into it over the years. It looks like ass and needs to be painted, but still runs great. Has an AH-OO-GAH horn, just because I like it. Sequential turn-signals, like early Cougars do. Convertible. I feel so at home behind its wheel… and yet I haven’t actually driven it in a couple years now.

I think I know what I’m doing this weekend now.

8 Likes

I would happily have that discussion in a thread where I was giving moderating power. Not because people will say things I don’t like, but more because holy-fucking-shit do these discussions end up all over the damn place. I find those threads remarkably unsatisfying because one second you’re talking about constitutional law and the next you’re talking about how school shootings can be avoided by arming teenage girls. I’m sort of a moderate on guns (which people confuse for naive and/or undecided) and I’ve found it very difficult to discuss this issue without people jumping down your throat at so much as an implication you might support one “side.”

2 Likes

So much this. Sooooo much this. It is possible to be abhorred by implications, but still in a way support the procedures behind it. It ain’t black and white.

(Except for unsecured open carriers. I want to punch their stupid faces)

3 Likes

Shelly, my Yamaha fg-75.

I’ve had this about 20 years now, when I got it it was pretty beat up, I’ve since added many more dings and scratches from when I was learning to play and playing around Tijuana in my teens.
A few years ago somebody broke into my house and stole it, I was really depressed for a while, not only had somebody broken into my home, this is the guitar that, if things ever got really bad, I was going to use while standing on a corner with a hat on the floor and at least put some food on the table. (At one point, in my younger days, broke and bored I tried this out, 3 hours was enough to buy a couple of bottles of tequila :beers: :blush: )

One day, I walked into a pawn shop and I couldn’t believe it, there it was! It’s now safely back home, life is good sometimes.

7 Likes

My work bench. I can spend hours sorting and organizing things into those sectioned drawer storage things.
My ideal home would have shelves on every wall full of “neat stuff” - but alas, I get but one room to fill. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I had this shirt! I loved it. It fell apart. Now it’s a kitchen rag. How did you transfer the image?

2 Likes

http://shop.tordboontje.com/tableware/table-stories/plates.html

In the US, there is no longer a distributor. I have managed to source some of mine from eBay. I never could find the bowls on eBay, so I bought those directly from the Tord Boontje shop in the UK and ate it on the postage. It was worth it. I now have a complete set of dishes and am now working on mugs and glasses. The shop is super great to work with and will give you a discount if you order a whole bunch at once.

In Europe there are several distributors. You can find them on the Tord Boontje website. There are a few that are on the Euro eBay sites. You might find better shipping costs through them depending on where you live.

FYI, there are US distributors of some of his lighting and vases:

http://www.yliving.com/search?Ntt=boontje

This has turned into a cool thread. I feel like I know everyone better now!

On the two dollar bills, when I was a teen and working at a fast food place, a Scout troop came through with those. They did it to show their economic impact on an area.

@Mindysan33 Your shirt would have gone well with a jacket I wore the fuck out of in college - black cotton with a punk vibe. I got it at a really neat shop in the French Quarter. I miss that jacket!

4 Likes

Every room in my home contains something I made: rugs, paintings, dishcloths, quilts, stuffed creatures, clothing… So yeah, I guess that stuff is what I’d look at and think as being “so me”. :monkey_face:

9 Likes

I love this thread!

It’s made me think about the fact that I would have had an answer when I was younger, but I don’t think I have one now. A call to action!

4 Likes

Against my own better judgement I’ve yelled at people who fail to practice proper trigger and barrel discipline.

Someone open-carrying makes me nervous as it is. But someone open-carrying with their finger on the trigger, or letting their barrel point towards things that are illegal to shoot (cars, houses, pedestrians) is both terrifying and infuriating, and honestly, if I were a cop, I’d arrest them for disorderly conduct.

4 Likes

This is totally Princess Mononoke, and I WANT:

5 Likes