It's so me

Rad!! I am a Solid Color, Tartan, or Crazy Quilt kind of frood. And those look great.

2 Likes

I have one that was inspired by the Quilts of Geeā€™s Bend, that I made with old jeans that I collected from friends. Is that ā€œAmericanaā€ enough?

10 Likes

Nah just found it. Iā€™m creatorly for other stuff.

1 Like

Those are Neato. Iā€™d etsy the fuck outta those fuckers.

2 Likes

Crap. Goog ā€œrules of data normalizationā€ and mine is the one with multicolored line segments around the graphic.

1 Like

I donā€™t care for Data Normalization, I want Data Gothitisation!! All tables must be multi to multi, and build to a penultimate index! No data is actually stored, it is referenced to tombstoned data. And nosql dbs fly like buttresses to keep everything stable.

(Too weird?)

1 Like

Nah. I actually get it. Well most of it. I read the IQ thread, so Iā€™m temporarily 25+ intelligence until the next round.

4 Likes

Stereo pair of a quail embryo from MRI. It hits a many of my buttons: stereo vision/imagery, optics and surfaces, MRI/tomography, development, brains, biomechanics and the similarity of all biological life forms (particularly vertebrate embryos). I didnā€™t acquire the data, but I used MRI, and I wrote and understand the software that did the rendering.

10 Likes

Oh I love this.

1 Like

One of my high school classmates made a documentary about Geeā€™s Bend. You can watch it on her website here:

http://www.celiacarey.com/2013-09-21-22-59-10/the-quiltmakers-of-gee-s-bend

Your quilt is very much of that tradition.

I have a beautiful, traditional quilt that my grandmother made and it is one of my perfect items in life.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to point out that all our ā€œItā€™s so meā€ stuff is either artistic, made by us, or is so care worn as to have our essences embedded into it.

Oughtā€™nā€™t this to say something about our ā€œperfect itemsā€?

Iā€™d say we love differentiation. We arenā€™t into the factory standards, so much as the factory seconds, with their unique individual quirks, or even better, things made or re-purposed by us from the beginning!

3 Likes

Quail embryo have quills already? Having witnessed various bird species develop quills and feathers only after breaking out of the shell, Iā€™m wondering how common it is to be born with quills already in evidence?

2 Likes

Yes, good eye. I learned something new, too. Amazing!!!

2 Likes

OK, hereā€™s a better truly me. This is my Prusa i3 3D printer that I hand-built. There are LOTS of better printers on the market now. I am going to buy one eventually. But I hand built this one. Used a plasma table at a makerspace to cut the frame out of steel. Then, slowly acquired all the parts, such as stepper motors, the print head, heated bed, driver boards, wires, rods, bearings, nuts & bolts, pulleys, belts, etc. off Ebay piece by piece, carefully specā€™ing each one and trying not to make mistakes.

Then, the hardest part: I had to teach myself how to alter 3D parts in openSCAD, so that I could make the Prusa original files fit what I needed for my situation. Then, printed all of them out one by one in red ABS on someone elseā€™s printer and put the whole thing together, calibrated the software, troubleshooted the shitty cheap RAMPS board that was giving me so much trouble. Eventually getting to the finish line.

I started it last August, and with life the way it is, it took me damn near six months to find the time to finish the project. If I counted the hours, I probably put about 500 into it. Maybe more, donā€™t know. And it has a problem right now because the print head keeps gumming up, no matter what I do with the temperature and drive speed. So I have a new print head (hot end) that Iā€™m gonna put on it and see how that goes. Thatā€™s how these printers always are: endless fiddling. But I love this thing. And even more, I love the process of making something with my hands and dealing with all the issues that come up. Itā€™s mechanical art.

Iā€™ve printed some cool shit on it. The bust is my son. I 3D scanned him then printed him out in glow-in-the-dark ABS plastic.

Next project? I fantasize ALL the time about having my own plasma cutting tableā€¦ but first I need to fix the printer and my CNC, so I can use them to make parts for the plasma tableā€¦

13 Likes

I try to find things that I love so much I never want to buy another one of that type. Like my dishes, Iā€™ll use those forever. My grandmaā€™s quilt - Iā€™ll never find another bedspread I love as much. Iā€™d like to have a whole house of that.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think those are quills. MRI highlights the distribution of water (H nuclei), and not so much keratinized tissue. This rendering is not exactly how it would look visually.

This subject was embryonic age 10 days, ex ovo. I think the bumps are dermal papilla (elongated bumps of skin), from which feathers will ultimately develop.

Hereā€™s a nicely illustrated discussion of feather evolution and development:
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/feather_evolution.htm

7 Likes

damn, dude! fucking impressed!

2 Likes

Iā€™m kinda the opposite of you, but I get where youā€™re coming from.

I moved when I was 13 years old, and lost so much beloved stuff in the move. I lost a bunch of scouting memorabilia, my favorite shoes, two $300.00 Tuba mouthpieces.

After that I decided that Iā€™m never going to care about stuff. Iā€™m going to care about people. Theyā€™re much better than stuff. But Iā€™ve found myself very slowly acquiring heirlooms I donā€™t want to admit Iā€™m attached to.

My folks have a beautifully crafted wall clock with a clock-work chime. Itā€™s about 0.6 meters tall, 0.25 meters wide, and about 0.2 meters deep. Itā€™s very dark oak, with a brass and chrome filigree face and has a winding key and everything.

Whenever the folks talk about their will (maybe once every few years), my brother and I simultaneously say ā€œI donā€™t want anything from you guys, just give me the clockā€, then we stare each other down.

I really hope when the folks eventually do pass away, that weā€™ll figure out a way for one of us to have that clock without going to war with sticks and rocks and incendiary bombs.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Oh, its funny Its So Me you may not even think about it.

• steel hammer from my great grandfather. I swear it must be spring steel. It is narrow, strong, and gives no shits.

• 1910 tenor sax. It is amazing. Satin silver, gold inlay. Made my wife marry me.

Makes me think, everything I have listed is an instrument of some sort, or a tool.

Third is my goatee. Shaved it many times, had beards many times, but the Van Dyke always comes back.

4 Likes