“Jack and Diane” but all the lyrics are just “Suckin’ on a Chilli Dog"

Originally published at: "Jack and Diane" but all the lyrics are just "Suckin' on a Chilli Dog" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Good morning, and Thank you…Very very much

7 Likes

At 0:39 it went from pretty funny to chef’s kiss.

12 Likes

Huh, I vaguely thought this was a Tom Petty song

1 Like

Yeah. This is a great way of calling attention to an obnoxious at best line in another “all-American” nostalgia trip.

3 Likes

Absolute comedy gold, that part.

2 Likes

I have never liked this guy. Not in a “I don’t like this music” way. I am exposed to a lot of music and I generally do like it, and if I don’t I am content to let others like it, if you know what I mean. It just seems to me there is a sinister background to his music in general; “hey poor people, this is the way it is, accept it, you’re all shit, let the boss take care of things” . I dunno

1 Like

This is basically the way I always heard it.

1 Like

After having been subjected the song hundreds of times over the course of my life, this is a welcome and refreshing reboot.

5 Likes

Major upgrade.

5 Likes

His songs can be pretty fatalist, but not always, note “You’ve Got to Stand for Somethin’.” Off the turntable, he helped form Farm Aid.

4 Likes

I’m not really familiar with his catalogue, I just have spent a lot of my life in places where other people choose the music one way or another…the music that gets played on the radio reflects a selection process that is pretty opaque and a suspicious guy like me might think part of that process is to select music that achieves social goals. That said, I used to have an acquaintance who did this kind of work (a consultant who programmed music for radio stations-surprisingly lucrative work it was) and I think I know what his motivations were :slight_smile: Farm Aid? Don’t know much about it, am Canadian …I do know the situation in the US is a lot worse than here wrt corporate farming

2 Likes

This is one song I have rocked doing karaoke.

2 Likes

While Jack and Diane is probably one of my favorite Mellencamp songs, and one of my favorite 80s songs, I think this song is fantastic.

7 Likes

Working as a waitress at a cocktail bar. A cocktail bar…

13 Likes

Well. . . at least all the verses rhyme with each other. One hundred percent in fact.

3 Likes

This phrase has now lost all meaning

4 Likes

One of those songs you don’t fully understand as a kid and just sing along and then you’re in your 40s and you Google “bobbie brooks” and finally understand what he was saying.

2 Likes

Came to post this and… honestly, as awesome as Suckin’ on a Chili Dog is, I’m a little disappointed in comparison, it would have been slightly more awesome if it were Mellencamp himself. But hey I’ll enjoy what exists rather than lamenting what doesn’t.

1 Like

Ok now do Play Guitar.

2 Likes