Jack Black + Jack White = "Jack Gray"

Uh - I believe they were married…

That and with the new editing software, even Meh drummers can be fixed in post production.

2 Likes

“Make a new track, Jacks…”

2 Likes

They inexplicably presented themselves as siblings for a while. This was all pre-wikipedia, you’ll recall (which, according to wikipedia, was launched in 2001).

4 Likes

Leave Meg White alone. She’s the heart beat.
Something tells me having Jack White on your ass during practice wouldn’t make for the most enjoyable time, which would affect my drumming (if I could do half as well as Meg White).
The White Stripes are a whole package.
Jack Gray’s been a long time coming, given the meticulous crafting of Jack White’s musical personas.
Jack Black and Jack White probably came up with the name in a gray haze of weed smoke.

1 Like

Its news to me, i wasn’t a die hard fan but when they initially came out i do recall the conversation being that they were siblings. Either way that doesn’t change my comment that criticism toward her could be in part driven by the fact that she’s a female drummer.

3 Likes

They initially presented themselves as siblings as a throw back to 60’s and 70’s family bands. Then deliberately muddled it up to mess with people.

But yeah they were married rather than siblings.

3 Likes

I talked with a guy back in the 90’s who thought Guns 'n Roses was the bomb and these Nirvana kids could learn a thing or two about Rock and Roll from GNR…

2 Likes

Yeah I DO recall that at one point, but I thought it came out later they were married.

If they were from Alabama instead of Detroit, one could post the “Why not both” girl.

They DID learn from GNR, and rebelled against it.

2 Likes

See also: Tom Waits

4 Likes

No kidding! I once heard someone talk about men who make great music but who are not great singers, using as examples Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. One of these things is not like the others. Anyone is welcome to think that Tom Waits sounds like a horse being strangled, but Waits is fully in control of that sound.

4 Likes

When Tom wants to sound like Pirate Cookie Monster or an insane carnival barker, he goes balls-out, but he can be remarkably restrained. He’s a genius.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Better than Jack Beige. Nobody likes Jack Beige

3 Likes

He is definitely a living master. His music is great in many aspects, for whatever reason i haven’t really gone deep in his catalogue and i really need to put some days aside and go all in. That said the songs i have listened of his i’ve loved. We used one of his tracks to practice in one of my ukulele classes and it was a real treat :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Give me ‘Nighthawks at the Diner’ and a bottle of whiskey, a rainy night and a warm fire any day of the week.

2 Likes

I always liked Cohen’s explanation, something like “I thought I was a bad singer until I figured out my range. It was only four notes but as long as I stayed there…” (to paraphrase)

3 Likes

Btw i was looking up Meg White yesterday and it does appear that they publicly tried to pass off as siblings, though more interesting is that when Jack White got married he was the one that took Meg White’s last name.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.