Jack Dorsey, 'lifestyle guru,' touted as 'Gwyneth Paltrow for Silicon Valley'

“Lithe” does not equal emaciated, which is what they proceed to describe him as. Lithe does not mean swallowed by a shirt. Starving does.

Eat a fucking PB&J, Jack.

“# Jack Dorsey, ‘lifestyle guru,’ touted as 'Gwyneth Paltrow for Silicon Valley”

…by pushing useless and potentially hazardous product, as well as touting a bunch of woowoo ‘health’ bs.

Dude looks like a tim burton character.

Just look at these unfortunate victims of cryotherapeutic quackery.

3 Likes

back when I was a cop (I got let go from the force for shooting a serial killer) well anyway there was this box and Detective Somerset said I didn’t want to look inside, and when I did it turned out to be the head of Jack Dorsey - at the time it was pretty traumatic but I guess I can sort of laugh about it now.

4 Likes

Hoping tomorrow I will wake up back in my own universe.

Ah yes, the rest of the list like exercise and mindfulness are completely bogus, everyone one knows that no one should do those. See, it’s possible to be snarky, but actually but actually be making a valid point (go ahead, look at that list and see what else is missing if you actually care).

I agree that cultish behavior is a bad thing, but isn’t that seems to be more about the people who can’t be bothered to do their own research and would rather follow celebrity trends, or maybe the journalists/media that seem to be bent on promoting Dorsey’s “eccentric” wellness habits. As far as I know, he isn’t publishing a monthly magazine or selling products on his lifestyle.

Sure, I suppose more data is nice, although doing a search on “fasting” in my personal Zotero, I have almost 300 results (only 32 for time-restricted feeding, however), and each one of those typically cite dozens, if not hundreds of papers in their references - I think there’s already a lot more studies than any individual has to time to read through, and ultimately, because individuals vary so much, I’d say that n=1, eg trying an intervention and seeing if it’s beneficial or sustainable is probably a better use of time. There’s more than enough evidence (biomechanistic, animal model, controlled trial) to be suggestive, however.

Regarding T2D, the current numbers are pretty crazy. Over 50% of Americans are now pre-diabetic or diabetic (2011-2012 NHANES data), and <20% of Americans are considered metabolically healthy under ATP III guidelines (2009-2016 NHANES data). But there’s also been a ton of interesting recent research on VLKCDs and T2D reversal. My favorite I think is the stuff Virta Health has been funding, an ongoing long-term trial producing very interesting clinical results: Research | Virta Health

The biggest publication from that research so far as been the one year results, which are well worth reading: Effectiveness and Safety of a Novel Care Model for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes at 1 Year: An Open-Label, Non-Randomized, Controlled Study

After 1 year, patients in the CCI, on average, lowered HbA1c from 7.6 to 6.3%, lost 12% of their body weight, and reduced diabetes medicine use. 94% of patients who were prescribed insulin reduced or stopped their insulin use, and sulfonylureas were eliminated in all patients. Participants in the UC group had no changes to HbA1c, weight or diabetes medicine use over the year.

Figure 3 in particular is pretty bonkers (especially comparing to standard of care). Year 2 results are coming, but here’s a relatively recent presentation with a lot of insights into the study design, background, etc from the medical director of the study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUuHrBwsJ2s

Can’t it just be “absent-minded and easily distracted”? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Ok, probably so, But I like to suck on it. Buying it in bulk, a little package for under $2 will last me months (really don’t use it for anything else). See, I was always fond of rock salt that would be used in making home-made ice cream, but that specifically sez not for consumption. So I indulge. Of course, it isn’t Himalayan at all. It is from Pakistan, but that would not move product, now would it? I could care less about its supposed ‘health’ benifits. For cooking, of course, I use kosher salt, which oddly enough may not, in itself, be kosher. It is called that because it is used in koshering (something I recently found out).

Best hope that does not happen. It was Cronenberged.

Being aware that it’s not doing you any good makes the situation entirely different. It’s cool to like chocolate cake, acknowledging it’s not actually good for you. Once one starts claiming it has imaginary health benefits and pushing it on other people premised on that delusion, it’s a problem.

1 Like

BoingBoing Store is my lifestyle guru.

2 Likes

Does it have a distinctive flavor difference from any other type of salt?

Its salt with rust in it. Or maybe chromium. Red stuff.

2 Likes

If you fast, slow you ass down.

1 Like

I would give you 139 upvotes if I could.

1 Like

I believe also that salt does not need to be made kosher. On top of that if frequently is blessed anyway. So it may well be kosher koshering salt that was already inherently kosher.

I may well be wrong on that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.