Jack Dorsey, 'lifestyle guru,' touted as 'Gwyneth Paltrow for Silicon Valley'

Honestly, Soylent Bro is the original “Gwyneth Paltrow for Silicon Valley”. Not only did he create Soylent, but how can we forget his classic:

7 Likes

You know what really makes you feel energized, cleansed, and free from all that EMF energy? When you ban the fucking Nazis, Jack.

27 Likes

Remember, kids - rich people aren’t crazy, they are eccentric.

6 Likes

It’s fun to rag on Dorsey I suppose (the point of the NYTimes Fashion article and these comments?) so sorry to derail that, but I since I’ve had a recent interest in the topic area of personal health, I went and reviewed the 11 ‘wellness’ habits writeup referenced in the article and they don’t actually seem all that out there to me (I’ve spent the past year reading thousands of peer-reviewed articles and doing personal n=1 SE). I’ll just post some references in case anyone is looking for useful starting points.

Both time restricted feeding and intermittent (prolonged) fasting are some of the most powerful metabolic health interventions being studied at the moment IMO. Two reviews that are good places to start:

Both sauna and cold exposure are pretty well studied:

Even stuff that seems out there like the near infrared light has had decades of research (relevant search terms are LLLT - low-level laser (light) therapy, or photobiomodulation:

Honestly, of the health practices cited, the Vitamin C supplementation may be the quackiest (unless you’re an 18th century sailor, it’s very unlikely that you’re Vitamin C deficient (although there are some very interesting implications wrt insulin sensitivity as it’s competitive with glucose in cell uptake), and in terms of micronutrients, I’d probably start with chelated Magnesium, K2, and D3, although the latter may only be effective from UV-B, not in pill form).

Almost all of the world’s peer-reviewed biomedical literature is available for search on PubMed, at least in abstract format (those without institutional access should be able to read just get full-text on Sci-Hub if not available on PMC). Anyway, back to the pop-celebrity/schadenfreude/internet-rage pit(h)y-party, or whatever the wheelhouse seems to be around here these days.

4 Likes

So, 3 out of 11 not completely bogus? Impressive.

Snark aside - taking care of your health is a good thing.
Doing it in an excessive way is counter-productive in the long run.
Turning it into a cult is a bad thing.

14 Likes

To be fair, it’s apparently an infrared sauna. Having been lured into one on false pretences (“it’s just like a normal sauna but better!”) I can attest they are nothing at all like a proper sauna. Piping woo-flavoured Muzak through the distressingly steam-free box didn’t help, and nor did the info-tainment screen.

2 Likes

So what weird stuff does Dorsey put in his vagina?

4 Likes

thats the thing; maybe I miss something here but

“No radiation EMF from power, from Wi-Fi, from cellular” gets through, Jack Dorsey observes about his in-home electromagnetic field-shielded infrared sauna

an EMF-blocking tent as an IR-sauna seems kinda counterproductive to “protect” from EMF…whatever ¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes

Fad diets and pseudo-scientific therapies worked great for Steve Jobs. Without all the apricot pit pickling serum he definitely would have withered to a husk even sooner.

8 Likes

Except Howard Hughes was a genius, developed a whole loaf of useful things and fought Nazis.

The only thing they have in common is that Dorsey looks skeevy enough to be near the urine bottling stage of his life.

5 Likes

The EMF blocking tent destroys a storyline from Better Call Saul.

Good lord, the exerpt about his routine reads like it was taken from The Road to Wellville.

6 Likes

Gotchu, fam.

4 Likes

Yeah, but is it?
From the linked article:

“light emitting diodes (LEDs) have been proposed as a cheaper alternative. A great deal of debate remains over whether the two light sources differ in their clinical effects.”

So… maybe not. Also, he’s in the sauna to sweat out toxins, which is bullshit. Mostly he’s engaging in fads that might accidentally be beneficial activities or he takes solid advice - a day of fasting, confining meals to 12 hours in the day - and turns them into something dangerous (his food schedule is… crazy). Regardless, “salt juice” and “Faraday cage sauna” are more than ridiculous enough to position him fully in the “totally irrational” category, such that it doesn’t matter how rational his other positions might be.

Same traditions, (slightly) different fads.

9 Likes

Dorsey has flagged himself as an easy mark.

By providing the world with a map of his personal cognitive biases, he’s providing his enemies and competitors with the tools to manipulate him.

A lack of skepticism is bad for business.

-Sean

5 Likes

Just as an endorsement from Ms. Paltrow can make even the most spurious self-help objects instantly covetable, an endorsement from Mr. Dorsey can put products out of stock for weeks.

There’s one born every minute.
A fool and his money.
And so on.
The end of times. Soon, please.

2 Likes

“He walks five miles to work. He eats one meal a day and has said that on the weekends when he fasts from Friday to Saturday” Who would have thought billions of poor around the globe were on the Dorsey Diet? Vast wealth disparity is a blessing in disguise! …sigh… Few things are as loathsome as smug rich people piety.

4 Likes

Intermittent fasting looks like it might have some benefits to those of us with Type 2 diabetes (although more studies would be nice). I could do it myself if I skipped breakfast and took my coffee black.

Eating one meal a day and doing an extended fast on the weekend, though, is dangerously close to eating disorder territory.

3 Likes

Jack Dorsey, ‘lifestyle guru,’ touted as ‘Gwyneth Paltrow for Silicon Valley’

Two crack pots destined to make cash off of fools.

1 Like

tumblr_n2lcchPkuj1s5q5b5o1_500

2 Likes