James Coburn starred in the spy parodies all other spy parodies wish they were

Yeah. The ringtone on my phone used to be the audio of Flint’s tricked out watch.

6 Likes

Back in the day, my family used to hit the drive-in theater every weekend during the summer. That’s where I saw both Flint movies when they first came out.

Young me didn’t catch the parody elements. He was just a way way cool guy. Old me still thinks he was a way way cool guy, even with the parody elements.

4 Likes

Our Man Flint may be the longest three minute trailer I’ve ever seen. So much to unpack…

3 Likes

DUDE! My phone ringtone is the presidential hotline.

Before I got my first cellphone, I ripped the audio clip from a copy of the movie. Because I knew that when I did get one, that was the ringtone I wanted.

4 Likes

I think it was also used in Agent Cody Banks.

15 Likes

James Coburn was always great playing cool, tough characters. Makes me wonder if he ever played against type. If so, I’ve yet to see it.

4 Likes

Correction: mine was the hotline audio too – after all these years the brain cells holding that information got corrupted, died, or fell out. Now I have a great clip of O Fortuna from Carmina Burana by Orff . I can pretty much guarantee that nobody else in the world has the same ringtone but it does get me some serious stares in public if I have the ringer turned up loud.

1 Like

2kr5s9

10 Likes

I think of that scene every time a new phone comes out.

2 Likes

That movie was remarkably prescient: the chip (whose functionality sounds a lot like the Internet), a monologue about how Russia is becoming more like the US and the US more like Russia, surveillance cameras everywhere, and Libya. It didn’t do well at the box office, and ended up being on network TV and stations like WGN on a regular basis.

Also, there were a bunch of actors in this who went on to have TV success (Arte Johnson, William Daniels, Pat Harrington).

8 Likes

Ok, now I have to watch that.

2 Likes

Dizzy Gillespie for president!

6 Likes

Two of my favorite films.

Another great Coburn flick from the same era was “The President’s Analyst.”

I have all 3 on DVD.

1 Like

I’ve always liked LICENSED TO KILL, a Bond inspired knock-off from 1965, with Tom Adams as Charles Vine, and a nice guitar riff as a musical signature. The original British version is better than the repackaged one for the U.S., although the U.S, version has a catchy tune “The second-best secret agent in the whole wide world” sung by Sammy Davis Jr, that was later used in a tongue-in-cheek reference on the soundtrack from “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” from 2011.

3 Likes

I remember [NBC?] ‘Friday Night at the Movies’ [or was it Saturday]… and there might have been other days of the week as well. This was mid-60s, in any case.
I’m already confused, so no worries…

2 Likes
3 Likes

I enjoyed the Flint films but one of my favorites from earlier in the 60’s was That Man From Rio, which supposedly influenced Raiders of the Lost Ark.

4 Likes

Came here to recommend this above the others.

2 Likes

Amazing movie!

2 Likes