James Coburn starred in the spy parodies all other spy parodies wish they were

That’s worth watching for the shots of under-construction Brasilia alone, not to mention all the rest of it.
And “pink with little green stars” is a good default answer whenever someone asks what colour something should be.

ETA:

5 Likes

JC’s character’s growing paranoia in that film was hilarious.

2 Likes

What about Le Magnifique aka The Man from Acapulco? I don’t remember the movie at all, other than a gag I thought was hilariously stupid at the time, where an agent is trapped in a phone booth and then craned into the ocean by a helicopter and eaten by a shark - which sounds horrible when written, but in the movie it was a send up of the overly complicated deaths in spy movies.

I have no idea if my adult self would still like this movie. I saw it as a teenager who haunted the art house movie theater looking for fancy movies, only to discover that the French make some pretty boring comedies, and some excellent ones, but mostly boring ones.

3 Likes

One of my all time favorites. Mom hipped me.

Godfrey Cambridge is wonderful, too :smiley:

2 Likes

A Bond parody

6 Likes

I rewatched Le Magnifique a couple of years ago, it wasn’t as good as I’d remembered it. That Man From Rio, OTOH, is infinitely rewatchable. (BTW, Up To His Ears, marketed as a sequel to TMFR, is horrible.)

As for Bond-inspired 60s spy spoofs, no love for The Man From Uncle?

6 Likes

The only example I can think of where Coburn played against type was for his final number on the Muppet Show.

Unfortunately, it’s, uh, racist.

1 Like

But the build-up to this number is pretty good.

4 Likes

Hmm, that makes me wonder if I should change my ringtone to the Ave Satani them from The Omen

1 Like

Oh, the official Bond series was parodying itself by Diamonds are Forever.

7 Likes

Explosive sportscoat buttons!

1 Like

The “Flint” flix were hugely entertaining…

2 Likes

Top Secret?

And fun fact: James Coburn was one of Bruce Lee’s pallbearers

8 Likes

Yes, Mr Coburn was one of his many students.

3 Likes

You can definitely tell from those martial arts stylings in the Flint clips :wink:

4 Likes

All of OSS:117 movies are amazing.

I also really recommend the French TV series a Very Secret Service on Netflix

4 Likes

Hahah! Yep. My god you kids would’ve HATED the ’60s.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m a kid from the 60s.

4 Likes

That might be why you hate them! Nothing like personal exposure.

2 Likes