Jared Kushner loses access to top secret intelligence

So now he’s even dumber than before?

2 Likes

Reality is chomping at the Onion’s heels…

8 Likes

The interim process involves raising your right hand and repeating:

“I am not a Russian spy
Cross my heart and hope to die.”

3 Likes

6 Likes

The only thing that’s hit par in this administration is 45’s golf scores, and that’s because he mulligans twice per hole.

5 Likes

But he needs that to advance his business interests - er, I mean, for the good of the country!

What do you want to bet that the Trump admin will just give them the intelligence anyways?

Jared was clearly never going to pass - he was up to his eyeballs in shady deals with foreign governments and their agents, and there was intelligence that foreign governments were trying to manipulate him through his businesses. Normally his enormous omissions in his forms would have been enough to reject hi or even send him to jail, but they kept letting him “correct” them, over and over. But as Trump’s son-in-law, I think they had a hard time saying an outright “no,” especially since Trump is so compromised he could never get clearance if he weren’t president. I think a certain amount of all this larger situation was because, since family were getting special access, they couldn’t deny others in similarly compromised situations, either. So a bunch of people who normally, in a sane administration, would have simply been rejected got temporary access.

7 Likes

Can’t the Commander in Chief just order them to clear a favoured staff member? Is there legislation that establishes clearance requirements, or is it all executive order? (If so, what one executive order did, another can undo.)

2 Likes

Hopefully, he looked up the JFK assassination and Area 51 before losing access. Yes, both seem like ultimately boring studies, but it is nice to say you’ve seen them.

3 Likes

The normal dance goes something like this:

• Person applying for clearance is not going to get it, but marking them as failing to receive it is such a black eye, that the investigating agency makes it clear that the process is delayed in an indefinite sort of way.
  • Person aplying gets the hint, and finds a reason to take another position where it is not required, etc.

This administration is unfortunately unique in several regards.

8 Likes

[quote=“kennykb, post:47, topic:116408”]
Can’t the Commander in Chief just order them to clear a favoured staff member? [/quote]

The Commander in Chief can tell whomever whatever he wants, so technically he could just forward the information on to Jared anyway. Doing so would not be received well, to say the least.

4 Likes

I somehow doubt this will matter to Trump. In my head their future conversations start like this: Jare? What does this mean? Wait! you’re not supposed to hear this. Put your hands over your ears, first.

2 Likes

Well, yeah. It’s just that I, and a lot of other people, thought that you were going to get a rerun of the W. presidency, only more crass and corrupt: basically a kleptocracy where Trump would be a ventriloquist’s dummy for Jared and Ivanka and other close advisors, getting the attention and the accolades while the reasonably competent crooks ran the actual government.

Unfortunately, it turns out that the dummy is actually in charge, the crooks are spectacularly incompetent, and the whole thing is one big dumpster fire spewing toxic smoke everywhere.

12 Likes

Also, it’s probably the least damage he could have done to the security of the USA.

Generally speaking, good riddance.

But in this particular case, I’m awaiting a public and a not-so-public reaction by his father lashing out against the FBI, and probably also Kelly. But surely against Sessions. To the latter, good riddance. The former? Oh, fuck.

3 Likes

Not sure how much Donald can remember from moment to moment.

5 Likes

As a Hufflepuff, it pains me to say this, that Kushner kid’s got Slytherin written all over him.

4 Likes

I’ve been massively enjoying “Fire and Fury”. Trump is absolutely fucked. He’s raised the ire of significant people in significant agencies who are all working significantly hard to significantly fuck him.

He’s slippery, but not enough.

Grab the popcorn and watch the show.

6 Likes

Indeed. He’s been able to skate along and avoid consequences all his life, because of his connections and his wealth, but it’s clear that he hasn’t realized that the Russia investigation is something very different from the civil lawsuits he’s familiar with. Trump can’t outspend or outlawyer the FBI and the rest of the alphabet soup, and he can’t bully or wheedle them into settling things behind the scenes with a nice NDA to keep it all secret.

8 Likes

Ahhh, I see where your assumptions went wrong.
You thought that the mangolomaniac was smart enough to be a ventriloquist’s dummy.
I expect that that is a common enough error.

1 Like

True, but that hasn’t always stopped 'em.

Your scenario pre-supposes that he pay any attention at all.

1 Like