Jargon watch: smishing and vishing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/26/grishing-knishing-tishing.html

6 Likes

People still say SMS?

5 Likes

Mugger Indicted on Gbhishing Charges

11 Likes

A pair of Romanian hackers walks into a bar…

11 Likes

Smdhshing

9 Likes

I do! If I say “text” I feel like I’m pretending to be a teenager

4 Likes

I’ll stick with the classics, “whooshing” and “swishing”, thanks.

1 Like

I love how these schemes are always described as “elaborate”. Even if it’s just “a guy found someone especially clueless who gave him his bank password over a text”. What a master criminal!

8 Likes

It’s not hugely common; but it’s actually much more useful than it used to be: In the before times if your phone received text unbidden then you could assume that it was SMS(or maybe OMA IMPS or some similar relic of the carriers-sucking-at-reimplementing-internet-stuff dark times). Now that there are about a zillion different chat apps running over IP the fact that something was delivered by a completely different mechanism(often one with distinct billing practices) is actually relevant.

5 Likes

I’ve never been able to tell how much of that is puffery on the part of the cops and/or security researchers (who would rather have caught some sophisticated criminals rather than some punk kids); and how much is face-saving by the targets(why even bother examining our security practices? Nothing can stop an Advanced Persistent Threat and its sophisticated attacks!)

5 Likes

Always being and doing, never cheesing or choosing

All the cute little initials and terms are precious but in this case its just dressed up words for a sorry assed thief. A useless bastard that takes money or goods really is a great target for an old fashioned ass beating. Perhaps even doubly because they went to some amount of effort to rob another. Use those skills to contribute to others. Fuckers are no better than tr*mp. Roast their asses.

I calls it what it is, “Wireless Telegraphy”.

5 Likes

someone teach me the smelling (lil) mistake for more slang man already

I’m pretty sure at this point we are just picking random words from Dr. Seuss books…

3 Likes

Ha! Teenagers wouldn’t even say “text”, because they wouldn’t even bother to specify that a message came through their phone. That’d be like saying “Amber used her larynx to vibrate the air to tell me that you made out with Viserion behind my back”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.