Jay Johnston, from "Mr. Show" and "Bob's Burgers" arrested for participation in January 6 insurrection

Originally published at: Jay Johnston, from "Mr. Show" and "Bob's Burgers" arrested for participation in January 6 insurrection | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I really enjoyed him on Mr. Show and think it’s a shame he went down that path.

Oh well, FAFO!

18 Likes

It WOULD be Jimmy Pesto doing something like this, wouldn’t it?

13 Likes

What’s surprising to me is that in order to get that many non-featured roles, he must have been well-liked by the people running the shows/movies. But they are all run by people I think are at least somewhat liberal, and Johnston is apparently not just conservative, but far-right.

Very true. Some of them just hide it well, because…

12 Likes
5 Likes

The man climbed Everest but he’ll be remembered for this instead!

11 Likes

Even Mr. Fischoeder has had some likeable moments, and Hugo has, grudgingly, admitted he was wrong on occasion, but Jimmy Sr. has never, in the entire series, done a single decent thing I can think of. He’s even alienated his own family.

For a long time I’ve wondered if the writers were subtly telling us what working with Johnston was like.

8 Likes

I think we all know someone like Jay. Smart, funny, seems open minded but just underneath is fear. A good friend of mine, who was a writer/photographer and very smart/funny, followed the same pattern. We’re still friends but one issue, the second amendment and how the NRA stoked fear, absolutely changed him. He became a prepper and will say he’s not racist but it sneaks out. It’s based on fear and the bad people know how to bring it out.

8 Likes

From those who were close to him for decades, it appears he started going down the white male grievance and conspiracy theory rabbit holes in 2016, with a renewed enthusiasm for marching powder that probably didn’t help. It’s probably telling that no one who knew him well and saw his progression was all that surprised he was at the Capitol, just bummed.

I wish he’d just gotten the hell out of there.

4 Likes

Never watched either series.

8 Likes

Johnston has also appeared in Arrested Development

And now he’s just arrested, which IS quite the development.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I saw someone share that elsewhere and I didn’t get it because I didn’t know he had actually been arrested. It’s freaking genius. Hahah

3 Likes

It’s truly a thing of beauty.

It was crazy when the FBI posted his picture and people started “joking” that it looked a lot like Johnston not realizing that it was actually him.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.