Jay Leno breaks multiple bones in motorcycle accident — just months after garage fire

Originally published at: Jay Leno breaks multiple bones in motorcycle accident — just months after garage fire | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I wonder if the was line intentionally placed to injure someone. Forgetting a flag is a pretty big deal.

5 Likes

aging boomers + motorcycles = injuries. it is known.

2 Likes

You got admit the guy knows how to take it on the chin.

11 Likes

aging boomers :heavy_plus_sign: motorcycles :heavy_division_sign: wire = injuries

3 Likes

That’s a leap. Parking lots are blocked off with chains and cables all the time, and I can’t remember the last time I saw a proper flag on them. It sucks, but it’s normal.

5 Likes

I saw this happen when I was a kid in the 1970s. The neighbors a few houses down had a rope tied to the bumper of a truck to help pull down a tree. They had the rope with no red flag stretched across the street (in a very busy urban Cleveland neighborhood). Along comes a guy on a chopper with no helmet at about 35mph. Bam! Fortunately the guy only had some minor bumps and scrapes.

3 Likes

Whatever you think of Leno’s comedy career he’s not one of those guys who gets his first motorcycle as part of a midlife crisis then crashes it because he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s been a certified gearhead since he was a kid.

8 Likes

He’s as legit as they come. I met him up at The Rock Store once when he rode in on his jet bike. That thing makes an entrance. It literally sounds like a 727 is landing in the parking lot. You can’t stand behind it because the exhaust temp is 1800°F. He said the clutch lasts 100 miles. :joy:

He’s a super nice guy who will talk to anyone all day long about cars and bikes. We hung out and had beers at The Rock Store, just like any other biker.

7 Likes

My favorite story about Leno’s love for motors was an anecdote he shared about a kid who wrote saying he’d been trying to impress the other kids at school by claiming Jay was his uncle and that he had a Lamborghini Countach. Of course now the kid was in over his head because the other kids were calling him out on the story.

So naturally Jay gave the kid a ride to school in his Countach LP5000 QV and made sure all his friends got to see him exit the vehicle when the scissor door opened up to drop him off.

7 Likes

no, true – but older bodies have slower reaction times and bones get more brittle, etc. – it catches up to everyone!

1 Like

“Find what you love and let it kill you.” —Charles Bukowski (attrib.)

5 Likes

“I’m a really good, dedicated employee! Please don’t cancel my sho… Oh, dang it.”

(It’s really been a rough couple of weeks for that guy!)

4 Likes

That really sucks. It’s a great show. :frowning:

ETA and I hope he’s quickly all healed up!

Everyone’s aging.

1 Like

I think it’ll continue on YouTube. I didn’t even know it was on the teevee. I thought it was just his YT channel.

2 Likes

It does seem like he would be able to find a way to continue making the show if he really wants to since it was basically a paid hobby for him. It’s not like he needs the money.

2 Likes

Let’s hope so but collecting Countaches and similarly rare vehicles is a very expensive hobby.

3 Likes

Jay Leno: [disheveled, shaking from adrenaline withdrawal] C’mon, man, help me out. Just a roadster to get me through the weekend. You know I’m good for it!

Lamborghini Dealer: Don’t you think you’ve had enough, sir?

Jay Leno: Dammit, I’ll tell YOU when I’ve had enough!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.