JD Vance joins JK Rowling in Olympic anti-trans bigotry

12 Likes

11 Likes

The same paper a day later

16 Likes

Is that newspaper-speak for “Please don’t sue us”?

13 Likes

Speaking of suing…

ETA:

Here’s newspaper speak for please don’t sue us…

17 Likes

Yeah, Joanne, this kind of shit does get people killed, but not remotely in the way your suggesting, you magnificent piece of shit…

God, that woman. :rage:

16 Likes

The Imane Khelif account is fake.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Or any women at all.

11 Likes

Yep… I’ve been pretty sure that this is where this is going for a while now (back when the first anti-trans sports bills started coming out). In addition to being obvious transphobia, they’re also going after title IX, which has been wildly successful at getting women into athletics in general. The transphobia is the tip of the spear of enforcing gender roles across the board.

15 Likes

All the talk about fairness is a distraction. If this shitshow were even remotely related to the topic of fair competition, I‘m sure people would also eagerly discuss the wide range of other genetic factors that can provide athletes with a significant advantage over their peers.

8 Likes

As usual, the transphobia turns out to be intrinsically linked to racism.

7 Likes

Also: “she trained harder. No fair!”

Actually access to training facilities and paid training etc is an unfair advantage that competitors from wealthy nations have. For a long time all Ireland could compete in was boxing and the odd middle distance runner, now it’s a wealthy country we have some regulation sized pools so can compete there.

It’s sport. It’s intrinsically unfair. Like love. And war. If you can’t find it in you to celebrate people who are better than you at stuff, going to their max to push the boundaries of what is possible, possibly watching the Olympics is best left to people who aren’t bitter, twisted, shrivelled up and dead inside!

15 Likes

Hm. Maybe we should avoid it then? Like we try to avoid war?

Yeah, I‘m all for pushing boundaries, within reason. But let’s not forget professional sports is also an industry, and the Olympics are IMHO mostly a money making machine, not a particularly healthy place for athletes. It. looks like how the Olympics are perceived by more and more people as a contest of nations, not of individuals. I also find the presentation on TV and the commentary mostly focuses on who wins the medals, all other athletes appear unimportant. Not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

Yeah, it definitely stokes unhealthy nationalism. However, I think there needs to be a venue for bringing some of these obscure sports to a broader audience. And I include Track & Field as an obscure sport when it comes to the US…

2 Likes

That made me look up if the Olympics really do inspire people to be more active.

Overall, most studies appear to point out that is not the case, and if so, probably mostly for people who are already active.

So it would seem all the bigger audience would take away is some enjoyment of watching others do sports. I wonder if that is worth the effort.

3 Likes

That’s not at all why I think it’s important. I happen to think those sports are important for their own merit. The Olympics going away without a replacement event will destroy or diminish those non-revenue sports and all we’ll be left with are the big pro sports like baseball, basketball, football, soccer, etc.

10 Likes

14 Likes

“Is Betteridge’s law of headlines named after Ian Betteridge?”

8 Likes

It also demonstrates that it is never about trans women, it’s about policing all women to conform to whatever their ideal of “fainting, dainty” femininity is. Can’t be tall, can’t be broad-shouldered, or strong, or smart, or forceful. Just stand there by the wall and don’t threaten the delicate fee-fees of the menfolk. :face_vomiting:

18 Likes