Jessica Jones season two gets a kickass trailer

Something like that. Yes, they are supposed to be close to each other.

2 Likes

Fair enough, at least they balanced it out with Jessica Jones doing more or less the same thing (like boinking one of the guys she was hired to track just for a fun diversion).

3 Likes

My take was always “Metropolis is NYC on a sunny day in mid-Spring, Gotham is NYC in the dead of night in late October.”

7 Likes

That’s why I’m not making a big deal about it; heroes with no vices or flaws whatsoever are boring and 1-dimensional to me.

3 Likes

I didn’t spot Whiny Fist in the trailer, so that’s hopeful…

1 Like

I think all crime fighting has to take place in the late fall, winter, early spring, because costumes are HOT.

1 Like

I spent Valentine’s a year ago with a tray of dark chocolate brownies and season one of Jessica Jones; great time.
Season two in a while means I missed the “sad anniversary” part, so yeah, I’m in :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haven’t watched Punisher yet, but this gives me some optimism.

IMHO, Luke Cage’s promiscuity (I actually don’t like that word, and prefer sexually liberated, but somehow that reads pretentious when written) is presented in a mostly positive light, which I hope helps to tear down the insidious stereotype that black people are different sexually that everyone else.

It’s a valid point though, and not one that necessarily occurs to white people (I know it didn’t to me until now).

Interesting. I think Bob Kane, who was a native New Yorker, intended Gotham to be a stand-in for New York City so that he wouldn’t have to follow the real geography. Gotham and Metropolis were nicknames for NYC before they were places in the comics. I always saw Metropolis as being a more optimistic NYC, and Gotham as being its dark gritty doppelganger version. So I think you’re right, both are really New York, or at least were originally. After all, both characters and cities were invented by Jewish kids growing up in NYC at the height of antisemitism.

Gotham even has a neighboring city, Blüdhaven, which I always took to be a stand-in for Newark.

4 Likes

Fun idea for making fanboys lose it: The next reboot should establish that Metropolis and Gotham are canonically the same city, but due to an archaic clause in the original charter they change the name of the city each day at sundown. Superman works the day shift and Batman works the night shift. Call me, DC.

4 Likes

Peter David’s 1996 run on the Supergirl comic set up Supergirl’s alter ego Linda Danvers living in Leesburg, Virginia, just a town. She kept having encounters with mystical villains in Leesburg and eventually learned that a Chaos River beneath town attracted them. Also, Supergirl could fly at supersonic speeds and easily have adventures in other parts of the country.
As for Jessica Jones, I agree. Living in the hustle and bustle of a big city is a reflection of her character. She would never seek the peace and quiet of a small town.

5 Likes

It’s a minor quibble that I can let slide due to all the positive aspects of the series, but the ‘irony’ of a preacher’s son who won’t curse yet still fights and fucks wasn’t lost on me.

3 Likes

IIRC, I think we shared a dim view of Iron Fist. I’m curious what you thought of Defenders.

3 Likes

Take it from a PK, your point is valid.

2 Likes

Oh, we did; it’s easily the worst of all the MCU series Netflix has put out thus far.

(The Punisher was surprisingly good, considering the incendiary subject matter.)

Defenders wasn’t perfect, but I liked it; especially where the writers showed they were not tone deaf to all the negative criticism of IF.

6 Likes

The Kochs could be a good stand-in for Luthor, though.

3 Likes

To me it was a pretty fair blend of the good things I liked from JJ, LC and DD S1, and to some extent that seemed to leaven the IF negatives. The fact that the other heroes were distinctly unimpressed with Danny was a nice bit of schadenfreude. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Meh, not until they at least build some power armor and rob a bank or something. Snapping the neck of some guys in suits isn’t exactly a challenge.

Yeah it Iron Fist was really a misstep. The guy can’t act and wasn’t a good fighter. The supporting cast were all better.

I did really like The Punisher. Defenders was ok. It was like having your kid brother tag along because mom said so :wink:

Hey I recently rewatched Training Day, and the guy who plays Stick is in that.

4 Likes

Not just the other heroes; their enemies also had no shortage of scorn for him:

Understatement ².

It’s weird because he wasn’t nearly that horrific in GoT. Maybe it was that it was a smaller supporting role instead of the lead, with much less dialogue…

3 Likes