JetBlue passenger yells: "I’m 28, I make $4 million a year. What do you do?"

I would say you have to make more than 4mm a year to own a private jet.

An entry level jet, new runs between 4mm and 8mm. And it runs about 50k to take off from an airport. You pay to land as well. And to store the plane. And gas. And licensing. And to pay the pilot… …and the mechanics.

1 Like

I’m too smart and way too busy to play that game. I have to go and do some really important stuff now.

7 Likes

I suppose frugal is a relative concept, but even if they flew business class on another airline all of the time, someone earning 4 million per year would still be wealthy at the end of it. Also, he claims to own six houses - unless they’re all tiny houses on abandoned land, that’s not the signature of frugality.

I’ll go out on a limb and guess that this guy doesn’t earn 4 million/year and doesn’t own six houses.

4 Likes

If I made $4 million a year, there is no way I’d be shoved into ridiculously small seats with nonexistent legroom. This would be the one area where I wouldn’t scrimp. I’d keep driving my non-diesel VW and eat at home to save money (kind of what I do now) so I could at least fly business class out of LAX.

8 Likes

“I’m 28, I make $4 million a year. What do you do?”

“I open the door at 30,000 feet, throw you out, and call it good.”

24 Likes

And there’s a point at which the small things most of us do in the name of “frugality” don’t make sense for very wealthy people.

For example, if your time is worth enough that you bring in several million dollars a year then it may not make sense to do your own laundry or cook your own meals, because you could hire someone to those things for you and use the time you save to make more money. By the same token, flying business class might make good economic sense for a highly paid executive if it saves them time during check-in and allows them to get work done during the flight.

Of course it sounds like these two were just getting hammered anyway so I guess they had the time to spare.

5 Likes

I’m 28, I make $4million and I have a 176 IQ.
And I hate myself - that’s why I fly JetBlue - I deserve to be punished.

22 Likes

Damn! I ran out of likes! I’ll get it to you in a couple of hours. :grinning:

4 Likes

Own, sure, but you can do a private jet membership for a about $10k per hour. I’d totally do it if I made 4MM a year.

1 Like

Well, speaking as someone who lives roughly 1.25 miles west of LGB and who hates HELL-AX, Jet Blue is super convenient.

eta: I owe you a like, too.

2 Likes

Polish?

2 Likes

It’s a reminder that for a lot of people (not just narcissists), money and material possessions are their principal measure of self worth. That’s why assholes like this guy can use wealth as an insult.

I’ve been mercifully spared many interactions with people like that guy, and nobody that over the top. If I was the butt of his arrogance, my response would simply be “I have a satisfying job, more happiness than I really deserve and I don’t give a shit what pompous dicks like you earn, own or think. Now, you seem to have some emotional issues - I have a couple friends who are therapists if you’d like to talk about it.”

11 Likes

I wouldn’t take that action, even if the stakes (his net worth) are low.

OUCH—the double reverse brag! They’re really putting on a show for us today, Bob.

5 Likes

Sure. But at $4m/annum most people will be flying first class on a non-discount carrier.

1 Like

You are magical. You win First Class seats!!!

2 Likes

true dat…1/4 Polish

Although I wish I knew how this started, if I were such a situation I would hope that I would find the inner calm to respond in absurdities. Not total nonsense, though.

“Mostly I fart a lot, and sometimes I scratch myself in places I shouldn’t when in public. I own a mansion and a yacht.”

“Oh yeah?? I’m gonna hire ALL the lawyers and make them do ballet. Or fix typewriters for hobos.”

1 Like

I would say you just need to know the right kind of people to make your money go further. Either lease or share, or jetpool: http://nypost.com/2014/07/01/how-to-fly-on-a-private-jet-for-less-than-200/

1 Like

I can see situations where someone making $4-million/year would grab a seat on Jetblue from Long Beach to Sacramento. I highly doubt that this joker makes $4-million/year.

4 Likes