JetBlue passenger yells: "I’m 28, I make $4 million a year. What do you do?"

They can and we can just laugh at them and believe they’re delusional. :wink:

It only works as an insult if we buy into their premise, which is why it must have been frustrating for that person.

1 Like

If you are enjoying late stage capitalism!, why not share it with your friends?

7 Likes

"What do you do?”

13 Likes

It’s a mindset. Why pay more if you don’t have to? One may be fine traveling business class. They don’t care and don’t see the point of spending more. YMMV. Also the claim of 6 houses could be rentals. That’s how some people make money on the side with little to no effort (they pay a company to manage upkeep etc).

Or he could be lying. Who knows. But I worked in a building where the owner of the company was an old school, self made millionaire and he was the most frugal person I have met. And I know others who aren’t super rich, but the pinch every penny they can.

It’s extremely sad. In the worst cases, they become Libertarian-like in reducing everything in life (including romantic relationships, family, friendships, sex, and esteem) to equivalents of financial transactions. They’re constantly insecure and have difficulty enjoying or appreciating many of the nice things in life they can afford.

3 Likes

Do you live anywhere near Michigan in case I ever need some plasma?

Oh, and on topic: I void warranties.

3 Likes

How’s that?

Me, too. I should have added a snark indicator to my reply. :wink:

1 Like

What, you never crack open electronic thingies and fiddle with 'em?

It’s such an open ended question. Obviously, the jerk in question was asking what the berated person does to earn money, but why not answer obtusely? Unexpected answers can quickly diffuse weird situations with asshats.

4 Likes

Or rapidly escalate them, but then generally unless you’re surrounded by asshats then you’ll have the crowd on your side.

What I find funny is the woman exclaiming “bye Felecia” to one of the men. DAFUQ?

3 Likes

“It’s important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That’s why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination.”

7 Likes

When I fly, it’s never that amusing. He was flying ‘Twat Class’

1 Like

“I’m worth four billion dollars and I have really long fingers. The longest!”

11 Likes

Well, she calls one of them “Jay-Z” as well. Since his picture is blurred, I’m left to wonder if it was Jay-Z? Or was it Mike O’Brien?

Agreed - and many rich people are frugal just as you say. However, I wouldn’t say frugality is why they are wealthy.

1 Like
5 Likes

Yes, the best, most luxurious textbook example.

1 Like

Much of the time it’s why they stay wealthy, though. In any case, “frugal” can be a relative term. If they’re following the Micawber Principle they’ll be OK.

From the follow-up interview:

…Brackett, clarifying that he doesn’t make a fraction of $4 million he claimed to make in the video.

So why is a man who makes $0 (or less) per year even on a commercial airline, let alone boasting about his income at all?!

2 Likes