Jim Bakker selling fake coronavirus cures now

Well, they’re certainly not perfect. I can think of a few big-name medical device companies that should have faced the corporate death penalty many times over, but keep chugging along, recall-to-recall…

5 Likes

Amazing how many recalls there are. And one of the big ones cough medtronic cough is on the list four times for 2019 alone.

5 Likes

Well, at least they’ve moved up from selling hundreds of thousands of exploding pacemakers

(sorry for the Elsevier link)

5 Likes

So that’s what happened here.

3 Likes

Indianapolis, so that was probably a Guidant defibrillator. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Appreciated!!! :grin:

For clarification :nerd_face: my concern is with how it would look if Trump pushed the FDA to crash down on a religious-right kook icon. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Stick him in a cell, and feed him his survival bucket chow.

3 Likes

First, they specifically say in the clip that it hasn’t been tested against this strain of the coronavirus, just against other ones. Of course, other strains aren’t that hard to kill (and this one might not be either) ON CONTACT. A can of Lysol says it kills human coronavirus. And it probably does…the older strains, on contact. But those other strains, of course, cause things like the common cold. Obviously not the same thing. Bottom line, they’re being careful to not claim ingestion will cure you of the latest coronavirus. Skummy? Yes. Illegal? Eh, probably not.

That’s not how the Food,Drug, and Cosmetics Act works. To make a claim of Safety & Effectiveness (which this was), you have to run your experimental design by the FDA, get buy-in on that, run your experiments, show that they establish Safety & Effectiveness (or explain why they failed but still somehow show S&E), let the FDA ponder it for a while, then they give you clearance to market your product for that indication.

Just making a claim and having some experimental evidence in your back pocket, even if it’s great evidence, does not meet the requirements of either the Act or FDA regulations.

It would make total sense if you think of him as less of a politician and more of a sociopathic schoolyard bully…

4 Likes

Does wonders for your hairtrumphair

1 Like

But…you can skip the whole FDA safety and efficacy process, nominally claim whatever you want, caveated in type too small to read, if you are selling nutriceuticals or health supplements…looking at you Utah.

2 Likes

They’ve been cracking down on that “loophole” lately, as mentioned in my earlier post in this thread. The disclaimer doesn’t provide any actual legal cover if they decide to take an enforcement action.

1 Like

Silver on surfaces does inhibit or kill BACTERIA.
Couldn’t find any references to VIRUSES.

Quote from journal article:
“Given that the antimicrobial effect of heavy metals such as silver is recognized as a viable option for eliminating bacteria, the exploration of nanotechnology in this context has been described in this study.”

3 Likes

2 Likes

Dump him in Wuhan with only a bottle of colloidal silver and let God sort it out.

The Chinese have suffered enough, don’t you think?

5 Likes

Mark of the beast, or mark of the BEST?

1 Like

Have you considered these?

5 Likes

Silver is killing MRSA in 2 minutes here

So does bleach, but you’d be insane to drink it. Effective outside the body and effective inside the body are very different things.

And this is from a scientific institute.

That is not a scientific institute.

If the corona virus comes and get you, then you will become more open to subject like this…

No, I would not. Quackery is quackery. I’ll put my trust in actual medical science, thank you.

11 Likes

The URL itself says it’s the Silver Health Institute. What is your criteria for whether or no something is a ‘scientific institute’?

And since colloidal silver is low-level toxic, perhaps it would be prudent to dilute it 1:10,000; that would make it harmless from a toxicological perspective, while greatly amplifying its healing properties, right?

8 Likes

Earlier this month, the “Silver Health Institute,” run by someone named Gordon Pedersen, recommended via a badly written press release that silver be used to kill the coronavirus. Pedersen himself, who claims to have won a bronze medal at the 2003 Utah Winter Games (the Winter Olympics in Utah were held in 2002), argued that since silver “will destroy all forms of viruses, it will help protect people from the Coronavirus.”

Checking the site, the Quack Miranda:

This website is NOT intended to be taken as medical advice. No therapeutic or medical claims are either implied or made. DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICAL TREATMENT, OR THE USE OF MEDICATION WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF YOUR MEDICAL CARE PROVIDER.

10 Likes