Jim Jordan loses 2nd House speaker vote by wider margin than 1st

I think “Moderate Republicans” were one of the 21 species that were removed from the endangered list because science determined they are extinct.

As for hats- well, the republicans have a lot of ugly, red ball caps that prevent them from ever thinking of cooperation or the greater good.

20 Likes

It would take 15 votes for them to agree on a venue to have their retreat at, then they would vote on what to get for lunch and half the caucus woukd walk out.

10 Likes

Why don’t they just say that the voting was rigged?

6 Likes

Whenever I see a pic of Gym Jordan, I always think of this guy…

8 Likes

Sounds good now, but the effect will be to replace the last “moderate” Republicans with MAGAts. come next election. Not that I see what other course is available.

If the GOP split into separate parties, both parties would run a candidate in each election. Separate primaries and separate candidates sniping at one another for betraying the GOP/Trump/whatever. Splitting the vote between GOP and MAGAT would help the Democrats win more often. Even two election cycles of this could change our entire political landscape.

That’s what I think would happen but I freely admit I am not a ln expert on politics

5 Likes

8 holdouts 2 days ago
10 the day of the vote
20 on the first vote
23 on the second
The hole is getting bigger and Traitor Jim has a backhoe

5 Likes

That’s the question… we keep hearing people say that there is a large swath of the GOP conference that laughs at the MAGA wing behind their back - but they’re still carrying their water in public. I’m not sure what it will take to get more people to act like Romney and Cheney, especially since it’s clearly sidelined both of them.

12 Likes

If they exist- and they had guts- they would have learned that it only takes 8 of them to stamp their feet and hold out for what they want (thanks Matt Gaetz)

And it looks like there’s 20 of them that are fed up with their far, far, right asshole wing.

But again- if they have guts.

11 Likes

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

10 Likes

season 5 GIF

6 Likes

Huh.

Gosh. Imagine!

7 Likes

Bassin, of Protect Democracy, points to a disturbing analogy for what is happening in the GOP as Trump surges and Jordan climbs. “When you look at the historical case studies to determine which countries survive autocratic challenges and which succumb to them,” Bassin told me, a key determinant is “whether the country’s mainstream parties unite with their traditional opponents to block the extremists from power.”

Over the years, he said, that kind of alliance has mobilized against autocratic movements in countries including the Czech Republic, France, Finland, and, most recently, Poland, where the center-right joined with its opponents on the left to topple the antidemocratic Law and Justice party. The chilling counterexample, Bassin noted, is that during the period between World War I and World War II, “center-right parties in Germany and Italy chose a different course.” Rather than directly opposing the emerging fascist movements in each country, they opted “instead to try to ride the energy of [the] far-right extremists to power, thinking that once there, they could easily sideline [their] leaders.”

That was, of course, a historic miscalculation that led to the destruction of democracy in each country. But, Bassin said, “right now, terrifyingly, the American Republican Party is following the German and Italian path.” The belligerent Jordan may face just enough personal and ideological opposition to stop him, but whether or not he becomes speaker, his rise captures the currents carrying the Trump-era GOP ever further from America’s democratic traditions.

8 Likes

oto, that would reduce quorum and if only six of them… ummm… retreated ( that’s what that means, right? ) jefferies could become speaker

( we can dream, at any rate )

5 Likes

I’m trying to imagine why this surprised her. She is in the guts of grit stopping it from working!

7 Likes

Jordan, who was an assistant coach on the team from 1986 to 1994, came under fire in 2018 when several former OSU wrestlers took their allegations against Strauss to the media and claimed Jordan was aware of Strauss’ inappropriate behavior and failed to report it. The university then announced it was opening an investigation into the allegations against Strauss.

Asshole, but on par for the pro-sexual abuse caucus.

9 Likes

In a just world, Gym Jordan would be in prison and not in the House.

12 Likes

Or rather, in the big house. As it were.

9 Likes

Republican says she won’t run for re-election because ‘DC is broken

Kevin Hart Fun GIF by The Roku Channel

9 Likes

No 3rd vote. They are going with Patrick McHenry

4 Likes