Jimmy Carter warns that Americans are close to "losing our precious democracy"

Same thing happened in The Agony and the Ecstasy, but even Heston would have picked up on it instantly.

3 Likes

Posted by you in 2019: History lesson: The GOP was moving to being a full out racist party since Wm. F. Buckley, Jr., at his National Review in the mid-1950s, culminating with Nixon ~1968 when he implemented the GOP southern strategy i.e. making the party the safe place for racists and racism, if you know what I mean.

So, how does Carter figure in on all this?

7 Likes

Why is fighting is the go-to metaphor for many politicians? Your candidate is fighting for your vote. We are fighting for your freedoms. You must fight for your democracy. In the UK I even get this from the Lib. Dems.

See? Jimmy knows it can be done without fighting. We can just get along with each other. The others can go fight themselves somewhere where we don’t have to see them.

1 Like

Point was that Carter shifted the Dems from being an opposition party. Not acting makes one complicit albeit not an initiator.

Yes it is, very much so.

Though in one sense it tracks. In office, he was much more willing than other presidents to tell Americans the realities of the dangers they faced, and the costs they’d have to incur to solve problems (or at least, to choose any of the solutions that were politically feasible). Energy conservation and the Volcker recession especially.

3 Likes

True. The conservatives bloody hated him for the “malaise” speech (the one where he never used the word but somehow everyone correctly heard it anyhow). “How dare he say The Greatest Country on Earth is less than perfect!?”

3 Likes

The point of an opposition party is to act as a check on the party that is currently in power. So yes, when Carter took control of the Executive Branch the Democrats were no longer acting as an opposition party.

Still not sure how that makes him a bad President nor how he bears any responsibility for the fascist clusterfuck that is today’s GOP.

11 Likes

Remember… It’s always the Democrat’s fault, unless it’s something good and momentous, then the GOP did that shit. I mean, that’s literally the polar opposite of actual historical truth in the past few decades, but it’s the narrative that everyone seems to believe, facts and history be damned.

10 Likes

Mishandled the economy.
Started the privatization trend.
Helped birth Islamic terrorists.
The Iran/Shah debacle.
That’s why else he’s bad.

it does show the ‘state of mind’ of some of these people - getting overrun with … frothing at the mouth crowd :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The shitshow stagflation that he had literally no hand in creating? Okay, sure.

There is plenty to criticize him for, but he’s hardly the worst president of the modern era. Hardly. As I noted, many historians are reassessing his presidency.

12 Likes

my personal list of the worst 5 presidents of the past 75 years:

1. donald trump
  2. george w. bush
  3. ronald reagan
  4. bill clinton
  5. richard nixon
7 Likes

You seem awfully committed to saddling the blame for generations of Islamic terrorism on the one US President who actually seems to regard Palestinians as actual human beings.

It’s almost as if you’re suggesting every bad thing that happened in the 70s (or since) is Carter’s fault.

May I ask which US Presidents you like better than Carter?

14 Likes

I don’t know I’d put Clinton on that list… At the very least he’s better than ford… I mean, hell, even Nixon wasn’t all bad, either. Trump really has no accomplishments to his name at all, though.

7 Likes

i put clinton on the list because of his influence in pushing the democratic party into welfare “reform” which was instrumental in impoverishing a generation of families by allowing states to unilaterally reduce benefits and by creating limits in how long recipients could get benefits. clinton also showed a certain amount of cowardice in not standing up for his convictions by backing down on such appointments as lani guanier and zoe baird. i also lay at his feet the problem of his influencing a generation of democratic politicians into ignoring and dumping on their black constituents starting with the whole sister souljah thing.

don’t get me wrong, i voted for clinton both times over george h.w. bush and over bob dole either of whom would probably have taken position four on my list if they’d been elected but, in my opinion, clinton was worse than truman, eisenhower, kennedy, johnson, obama, and biden. i didn’t count ford because he served such a short time and he was never elected in his own right.

9 Likes

In 1954, terrorists armed with handguns (this was before they had any real security) opened fire on the House of Representatives, wounding five Representatives. It’s a true miracle no one was killed. Carter commuted their sentences as president. Would love to hear his comment on that, if that 1954 attack was an attack on democracy.

I agree with you on all that, but I’d still say he’s better than Ford? He served as President, and I’d still count him.

5 Likes

For those unfamiliar with the incident:

I’m guessing his commutation was driven by his Christian values and an understanding the complex political issues at play.

6 Likes

if i were to count ford i would probably put him in slot 4 and keep nixon in position 5. i might have a tie for 5th between nixon and clinton.

can we agree that clinton was probably the worst democratic president of the past 100 years?

5 Likes

There is no inherent contradiction between “this individual committed an attack on our democracy” and “I believe that this individual no longer poses a threat after spending decades in prison.”

I don’t have any problem letting the January 6th insurrectionists go free eventually either, so long as everyone faces meaningful accountability for their actions first.

8 Likes