Jimmy Carter warns that Americans are close to "losing our precious democracy"

Originally published at: Jimmy Carter warns that Americans are close to "losing our precious democracy" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

It was kind of startling to see that article this morning. Not because I disagree with Carter but because I can’t remember a time when a POTUS, sitting or former, came out in a major news outlet to say “I Fear for Our Democracy”. Going back to before WWII, these guys usually accept that they have to be cheerleaders and optimists for “the American way”, especially when things are bad. Carter’s feeling that he has to break with that tradition is a very bad sign.

47 Likes

Watch now as millions of “patriotic” “Republicans” whip themselves into a frenzy tearing Carter apart for this statement of fact.

In 3…2…

18 Likes

They’ve hated St. Jimmy for more than 45 years, I’m pretty sure he can take it.

33 Likes

Carter irks them because they can’t claim that he is not a “Real American” (white, rural, Christian, etc.).

24 Likes

I voted for Jimmy Carter, we need better humans like him running our country.

39 Likes

He’ll pray for them.

25 Likes

The irony here is that it’s media and politicians who say that they value “the traditional American way of life” that are causing the most damage.

17 Likes

mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

It’s always been bullshit, of course, the “traditionanl American way”… it’s right wing talking points for patriarchal white supremacy. That’s what they mean.

23 Likes

Insight from the POTUS who started the Democrats on the road to becoming an alternative to the GOP instead of an opposition party. Turn on the news to see how well that worked out for the nation.
Triggered an extractive economy.
The Iran debacle.
Creating the climate for the birth of Islamic terrorism.
That’s just a few points of his legacy.
BTW: Moving hard right didn’t get him re-elected, but it started the DNC policy of treating the base like garbage.
Tell me again why anyone should care what he thinks about the nation. Had he any humility, he’d know that we don’t need any lectures (or sermons) from him.

But let’s blame the Democrats for the extremism in the GOP… /s

Sure Jan GIF

24 Likes

Hell, even Trump’s Republican predecessor George W. Bush described Trump’s inauguration as “some weird shit.”

14 Likes

Everything the Democrats do right is accidental. Everything they do wrong is an illustration of how irredeemable the party is. And everything the Republicans do, up to an including going full fascist, is somehow the Democrats’ fault. Especially the Democratic President who somehow managed not to start any wars and was working his damndest to shift our economy away from fossil fuels decades before most Americans had even given a passing thought to climate change.

24 Likes

Choosing Charlton Heston for one’s avatar is suspect.

12 Likes

It’s almost like there is a plan to undermine democracy here… but that can’t be right? /s

15 Likes

Charlton Heston Gun GIF

12 Likes

Just don’t tell him about Gore Vidal slipping in gay subtext to his character in Ben Hur. He’s a bit touchy on that subject.

13 Likes

Hold on a sec, I’ll go ask Ralph Nader for advice

10 Likes

a commentor in some of the earlier progressive blogs went by the nym murc. he coined what came to be known as murc’s law which is as true now as it was then–

only democrats are said to have agency in american politics.

10 Likes

America’s unifying creed is hating liberals

Republicans hate liberals, “The Left” hates liberals, and liberals hate themselves

Of course they are responsible for everything bad

8 Likes