Jimmy Carter warns that Americans are close to "losing our precious democracy"

But… that would imply that some o’ them mooslim fellas actually had agency and agendas of their own instead of existing as mere extensions of American and Russian policy… surely that can’t be!

9 Likes

Hmmm…how to rank?

Obama is our best living former President. Cater is the living former President who is the best person.

Reagan was the best former malignant vegetable. Trump is the president most likely to be fragged by his own family.

12 Likes

I mean, Reagan ran up a sky-high deficit, gutted regulations, embraced coded racism and homophobia, let a pandemic spread out of control because of those things, and embraced right wing dictators all over the global south… But sure, Carter is the bad guy here… :roll_eyes:

Also, one thing that really irritates me, is the absolute inability of some people to look at things from a more holistic approach… literally very president had some good and bad policies. All of them. I suspect that if Carter had gotten a second term, we might be far better off with regards to the environment, since every single republican since Nixon has spent their administrations undermining the EPA.

14 Likes

Again, current statements are not exactly game changers or likely to get the electoral results needed in 22 which would make 2018 look like nothing.
Too, Reagan’s record is historically awful — no words.
But Carter’s record is what is.
As for hate, I don’t think what I think about his record translates into any special antipathy.

You keep ripping on Jimmy Carter, but since he was the best US President since Johnson. So you’re not really criticizing him, you’re criticizing the US.

That’s valid, but not particularly helpful.

Meanwhile, in his post-Presidential life, he’s been amazing. It’s unlikely your pedestal is higher than his, so maybe get down off your high horse.

16 Likes

So you’re saying our posts should be “germane”

6 Likes

If you were alive back then, you would remember that he inherited a fucked-up economy.

He by no means ‘started’ it. Privatization has been a part of this country from the start, especially in areas where corruption was accepted. Reagan stomped on the gas, though.
If you were alive back then, you would know this.

Nope. They’ve been around for centuries. So have Xtian terrorists.
Ever hear of the Crusades?
Were you aware the CIA instigated a coup de-etat’ of a duly-elected leader of Iran back in the 50’s?
Pretty sure that wouldn’t sit well with the victims…

They demanded the return of the Shah. While the Shah was a bastard, he was our bastard, like it or not… and Carter did the humanitarian thing. So, you would kowtow to those Terrorists you seem to decry?

Compared to who?
And ‘anybody’ is not an acceptable answer.

7 Likes

Malignant?
Dammit, now I’m wary about visiting his grave & paying him the respect he deserves.
Can Cooties swim upstream?

If he doesn’t frag them first.

7 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

12 Likes

All politicians suck, you see

That’s why we should vote for a “blue tsunami all the way down the ticket in 22” :thinking:

3 Likes

I just gave y’all three or four historic disasters Carter allowed on his watch. You want to say he’s the best since LBJ? Fine. Give me examples.

And, like every Democratic President since WWII, turned it around into a growth economy again. Gas prices >< economy.

11 Likes

Wait, you’re inviting more of a rhetorical spanking than @vernonbird just laid on you?

monty python fight GIF

8 Likes

For starters maybe POTUS could have been bothered to give speech and explain things to the masses. You know, maybe act like he cared. You know, led.

We get it, we get it.

13 Likes

No hyperbole there at all, nosiree.
Those RWNJ rhetorical talking points were refuted.

You do understand that Presidents aren’t Kings, & they don’t operate in a vacuum?
There’s this organization known as the Congress, you see…

Everyone has opinions. LBJ was no great shakes, but he wasn’t a disaster, either.

I doubt it would make a damned bit of difference, so why bother?

If you had been alive back then, you would remember that he did exactly that.
He addressed the energy crisis & energy conservation, for example.
Ever hear of the State of the Union Address? He did those too…
No matter what he did or said, he was mocked & derided by the GOPers.
Kinda like what you are doing.

See above.

In any case, he was by no means the greatest POTUS, but beats any of the GOPers since Ike.
Unless corruption & treason are important qualifications…

10 Likes

Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

And BTW, part of the reason why he’s commenting on the election in the first place is not just because he’s a former president, but because he runs (or probably ran, as I doubt he does much of the day to day work at the Carter Center anymore) an organization that regularly oversees elections around the world. if anyone would know what a democracy on the bring looks like, it’s someone who runs an organization like the Carter center…

16 Likes

Have you considered a strongly worded letter to President Carter expressing your disappointment?

10 Likes

Knowing Jimmy, he’d probably write back.

17 Likes

He’s despicable.

16 Likes